Aiming The Fog Lights!

mts

Originally posted by "DJ Hellfire"

I see that everyone complains that the fogs really don't do anything for driver visibility and that they are just for looks. Everyone says they can't tell whether they are on or off. Well, it was brought to my attention at MWM04 that a lot of people never even knew that the fog light aim is adjustable. This is probably why you guys think they don't help. So here is a little tutoral on how to do it.

First you pop off the tow hook covers. They just pop right off with a little pressure, so don't be afraid of breaking them:

IPB Image

Under each fog light you'll notice a small allen key type of adjuster at about center of the bottom of the fog light:

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

See it? All you have to do is turn that badboy and it will go up or down. I forget which way goes up or down. They are not adjustable left and right.

Now, find a level surface and pull up about 2-3 feet from a wall (these are not like headlights, they will not shine on the wall from 25 feet away). If you have an allen key that size, then good. If not, just get some needle nose pliers to get a grip and turn it. If your fogs are clean enough down there, you may be able to get away with twisting it with your fingers.

You need to adjust them so they shine straight ahead. The beam on the wall should be nearly the same height from the ground as the actual fog light assemblies. If you look at the projector lens while your're adjusting it, you'll be able to see it going up or down, depending on which way you're adjusting.

Make sure you don't adjust them too much in one direction. I forget which way it is, but if you adjust them either too much upwards or downwards, you will make the aimer screw inside the foglight come off track. This happened to me once. You have to take the glass part off like you were changing the bulb and put the aimer screw back on its track. It's easy to fix, but it wastes time. Plus, if you make them too high or too low, it won't help.

Now if you have descent bulbs, you should be able to tell if your fogs are on or off even if you have HIV, oops, I meant HID's! IPB Image They will fill in all the dark space directly in front of the car where your headlights miss. Have fun.

QUOTE (roofadoofalus @ May 16 2004, 01:41 AM)how do I change the bulb?

Look at this pics:

IPB Image

On the bottom corners of the fog, there are philips head screws. You see em? There are 4 of these, one on all for corners of the fog. Unscrew these screws until they are loose. Do not take them completely out. They are meant to stay on the lens but come out of the fog housing when changing a bulb. I'll get more pics. Wait a minute.

Originally posted by "DJ Hellfire"

Alright. See how the screws are not supposed to come completely out?!

IPB Image

Now pull the bulb wire out:

IPB Image

IPB Image

Then lift the arm and pull the bulb out:

IPB Image

IPB Image

Oh yeah, here is the aimer screw track thingy. If you adjust the aim too much, this screw will pop out of the metal guide.

IPB Image

IPB Image