Random Stopping and smell

Ok this is a lil problem ive encountered for the last 3 days my car decides it wants to randomly stop...in the midst of driving....just turn off....this is what i know is deective on my car and I need to know how this plays into my car just stopping like it does....

PO400 the egr code ive had it for a while just no time to fix it....

when i got my oil changed they told me that my radiator hose is leaking....its obvious by the green coolant just sitting under my hood.....

burning smell....im thinking this is directly from the coolant leaking on my hot engine....

today when it cut off i turned off m radio to hear from any noises and while the car was still off it was knocking in a sense....wierd.....

questions/comments??

oh and yea ive had this egr problem for a year and for a fact its progressively getting worse...what happens when it gets to it worse...??

jrod

What happens is that it stalls. The EGR allows CO2 back through the cylinders, but it only does this above a certain rpm range. Anything lower and the valve is completely closed. But, carbon builds up inside the valve and prevents it from closing, allowing CO2 into the cylinders when it's not needed. It's basically acting like a fire extinguisher. This will also be most problematic when the engine is warm and at operating temp, since when cold the rpms are naturally higher and prevent it from stalling.