Knocking Sound...again.

cuto

Any advantage of it?

Wha? You have to ask? Have you not read any of the threads here on it?

Yes, definate advantage!!! Faster throttle response, more audible S/C scream, faster excelleration, etc etc....

Are they real or your just your psychology? Did you try any numbers, 0-60, dyno? And I bet that filter doesnt work as good as mazdas. There was a test on the net, mazda (drop-in) filters performs very well.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That sound is the S/C rattling around a bit, mine does the same too. If you put a stethescope on the S/C and do that it sounds like it coming from there.

I didnt hear it before. It also makes a sucking surge when throttle is first applied. I think ABV closes and it pushes all charge to the intake.

I dont have a CAI because hmm I didnt get it in OH because of the weather. Now I can get one but its hella expensive from chi. Besides I am skeptical about how good those filters work. Any advantage of it?

I would be careful in California with stuff like that. From what I have heard, CAI's and any modification that has to do with intake/exhaust/emissions are illegal unless they are certified by the California Air Resources Board (CARB). It is VERY strictly enforced in some areas, yours might not be one of them. There are a lot of horror stories around online of people being pulled over and cops overstepping their boundries.

I think they dont touch to the cat here, a CAI may not pass the emission but I doubt they will pull me over for a CAI. A loud exhaust is also illegal and can be pulled. Most annoying thing here is the front door tints. They keep de-tinting people here.

I think they dont touch to the cat here, a CAI may not pass the emission but I doubt they will pull me over for a CAI. A loud exhaust is also illegal and can be pulled. Most annoying thing here is the front door tints. They keep de-tinting people here.

In the couple of things I have heard about, they can pull you over if they suspect modifications and can check if they pull you over for something else. And I don't believe they need consent to pop the hood. I think it is really only strictly enforced like that in isolated areas though, a lot of stories from Orange County.

here is the actual text: http://www.arb.ca.gov/bluebook/bb99/VC/27156.htm

In the couple of things I have heard about, they can pull you over if they suspect modifications and can check if they pull you over for something else. And I don't believe they need consent to pop the hood. I think it is really only strictly enforced like that in isolated areas though, a lot of stories from Orange County.

I am in OC but never heard or see a cop popping the hood. They sometimes stop everyone for *This reference banned by MW* but thats it.

I am in OC but never heard or see a cop popping the hood. They sometimes stop everyone for *This reference banned by MW* but thats it.

I don't know anyone personally who had anything like that happen, just stories here and there online. It could have been something that was taking place a few years ago or it just instances of very strict cops. Also, I found a lot of documents on the CARB website that exempted certain brands of intakes after they proved to not affect emissions in testing. So hopefully if it ever was happening a lot, it is over with now.

• 5 months later...

OMG....

NO!!!!

I never wanted to hear that again. that's the EXACT same thing mine was doing when I got it back from those nincompoops that did the VCGs and rerouted the vac lines all wrong. It's the SC... sounds like glass marbles being banged against hard metal, only does it under load, right? Kikk-kikk-kikk-kikk-kikk-kikk?

Ok...any hints? THIS is the exact noise my car is doing and at the same circunstances. However it only does it randomly and never when the engine is fully warmed up.

You dont have a CEL right? I mean not even the bulb is there? The guy the video has misfire for sure and possible vacuum problems (maybe causing the misfire)..

OMG....

NO!!!!

I never wanted to hear that again. that's the EXACT same thing mine was doing when I got it back from those nincompoops that did the VCGs and rerouted the vac lines all wrong. It's the SC... sounds like glass marbles being banged against hard metal, only does it under load, right? Kikk-kikk-kikk-kikk-kikk-kikk?

No...it NEVER does is when the car is moving. In fact, as son as the revs go a little up on idle the noise is gone. It is also gone if i just rev it up past 1.000 RPMs for a few secs.

Ok...any hints? THIS is the exact noise my car is doing and at the same circunstances. However it only does it randomly and never when the engine is fully warmed up.

You dont have a CEL right? I mean not even the bulb is there? The guy the video has misfire for sure and possible vacuum problems (maybe causing the misfire)..

No CEL. But i noticed his idle is a bit high (1.000). Only code i pulled was an O2 sensor not functioning, but the car passed inspection with flying colors.

Sometimes, when the engine is cold, i can hear a kindda gargling noise when accelerating, like there was water running trough some pipes (or air).

• 3 weeks later...

That sound is the S/C rattling around a bit, mine does the same too. If you put a stethescope on the S/C and do that it sounds like it coming from there.

I didnt hear it before. It also makes a sucking surge when throttle is first applied. I think ABV closes and it pushes all charge to the intake.

I dont have a CAI because hmm I didnt get it in OH because of the weather. Now I can get one but its hella expensive from chi. Besides I am skeptical about how good those filters work. Any advantage of it?

I would be careful in California with stuff like that. From what I have heard, CAI's and any modification that has to do with intake/exhaust/emissions are illegal unless they are certified by the California Air Resources Board (CARB). It is VERY strictly enforced in some areas, yours might not be one of them. There are a lot of horror stories around online of people being pulled over and cops overstepping their boundries.

Mine passed CA smog test with chitown CAI....as long as there is no CEL and everything is hooked up...there is no problem.....

• 1 month later...

Finally i was able to get a picture and sound of the knock. It had just started when in D, so i let it in Drive and aplied the handbreak...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thNpTPRPPB8

In a bad day that knock will be just like the one in that milly on youtube.

Now...im getting really pissed off...and will have the timing belt and sparkplugs changed this week. Im so sad i cant even look at the car. If the knock stays: i will be saying goodbye to this car.

Wish i won´t.

Finally i was able to get a picture and sound of the knock. It had just started when in D, so i let it in Drive and aplied the handbreak...

Now...im getting really pissed off...and will have the timing belt and sparkplugs changed this week. Im so sad i cant even look at the car. If the knock stays: i will be saying goodbye to this car.

Wish i won´t.

How does the exhaust sound? Smooth or you can hear the knocks? It may be missing the sparks at times.

Wish i won´t.

How does the exhaust sound? Smooth or you can hear the knocks? It may be missing the sparks at times.

It sounds ok. But yesterday while driving the knock was there for sure: at 80 miles/h, the engine stuttered a bit, like the gas was gonna end on me...

By the end of this week i'll know if it's a car to last, or just to part. Finger's crossed!

Wish i won´t.

It sounds ok. But yesterday while driving the knock was there for sure: at 80 miles/h, the engine stuttered a bit, like the gas was gonna end on me...

By the end of this week i'll know if it's a car to last, or just to part. Finger's crossed!

What are you gonna do? Did you stick your ear at the exhaust tip and listen? If you are loosing power it shouldnt be a simple bearing. Maybe the t-belt tensioner. Also check the tension of the drive belts. I can stretch them 2-3 cm by just pressing bare hand.

Wish i won´t.

What are you gonna do? Did you stick your ear at the exhaust tip and listen? If you are loosing power it shouldnt be a simple bearing. Maybe the t-belt tensioner. Also check the tension of the drive belts. I can stretch them 2-3 cm by just pressing bare hand.

All belts are gonna be replaced. Thanks to the good USA i bought a complete timing belt kit for 260 Euros, including the AT hydraulic tensioner (original mazda part that costs over 300Euros here). It was sitting on ebay. Also bought all other belts and new Denso sparks. I'm hoping its the tensioner , but then, why would the knock appear only in when the engine is in gear and just fade away when in neutral? well...maybe under load the tensioner is forced to work harder and misses its job.

Will keep posting the news!

CUTO

where did you find this kit?! what does it include? I need to get a COMPLETE kit that has TB tensioner, TB, drive belts, TB idlers, front crank seal and cam seals, water pump, VCGs and the spark plug grommets.

Lat: see here http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...8&viewitem=

theimportexperts: $279 US. All idlers and tensioner included. Fast delivery too.

Kit includes:

(1) Timing Belt (KL01-12-205)

(1) Timing Belt Tensioner (KJ01-12-750)

(2) Timing Belt Idler Upper (KL01-12-730A)

(1) Timing Belt Idler Lower (KJ01-12-740)

(1) Hydraulic Tensioner

I must say: since i have this car i became a master in finding parts for it. Wish i would have done the same with my previous cars, would have saved tons of cash....Remember, that kit here costs more than 1200 Euros, thats 1800 $US.