uh oh

The car has been acting increasingly erratic over the past few days

In all of these scenarios, there is NO SMOKING WHATSOEVER.

* S/C sounds asthmatic and will rattle on acceleration after stopping, after trips over 55mph, somewhat reduced power ("hot day" mode)

* S/C whines excessively but won't rattle. Reduced power, ("reallly hot day" mode)

* S/C sounds relatively normal and there will be average power, but then it will rattle intermittently when you slow down.

* S/C sounds somewhat normal and you'll hear it muttering to itself but there won't be any overt rattling, maybe every now and then. Average power.

Gas mileage is okay. Not poor but not great either. Acceleration is still quick and the car starts very easily.

P1526 still present.

I decided to investigate the vaccum lines just to be sure. There was a connection near the solonoid I replaced that was coming loose off its tee, i pushed it up and since I couldn't grab any more of the other end i sealed it with gum. Don't yell.. i tried. Maybe it was psychological but the car behaved according to scenario 4, which is the best so far.

I disconnected all the connectors so I could pull away the harness and look more closely at the vac lines in that rats nest near the solenoid cluster.

What I found was very interesting, very interesting indeed.

I think it means my SC is toast and renboy's theory of the SC pushing oil is correct.

There is a sensor in the upper left of the intercooler piping that was flooded with oil, see the picture. Charge air temperature/pressure sensor?

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c234/Fuj...a/connector.jpg

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c234/Fuj...enia/oiled2.jpg

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c234/Fuj...lenia/oiled.jpg

also, my timing belt cover looks like it's all cracked and deformed.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c234/Fuj...timingcover.jpg

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c234/Fuj...nia/timing2.jpg

am I correct in assuming it will need a new S/C soon? could that perhaps be the cause of my 1526?

If there's no smoke then it's not the seals. When the rattle is the result of oil, then there is a pronounced cloud behind you...once it was big enough to completely disguise the car behind me. As for that sensor, there shouldn't be oil on the connection, but that alone doesn't mean there's oil in the pipes. Unscrew the sensor and look inside, that will give you a better idea. As for the timing belt cover, if it has oil on it, then it's probably becasue of the vcg's, and those cracks are because someone overtightened it to the heads. This is probably a good thing, since I imagine it means the waterpump/timing belt were changed. Actually, maybe it's not a good thing since they were probably changed by someone incompetent.

And finally, with the belt on, see if you can tighten/loosen the bolt for the s/c pulley. If you can move it, then that may be a source of your problems, since those bolts are on tight, I mean like nun tight. After tightening the bolt, remove the belt and see if you can wiggle the pulley. If you can, then the bearings in the s/c are shot, and you need a new s/c.

there's oil crusting the socket that connects it to the intercooler pipe.

anything I could do to make the rattling less excessive? I think it is the bearings because you can hear it grumbling to itself.. it's not an "outside" sound it's an "inside" sound. if it's in a "rattle and annoy Lat" mood, you can feel slight vibrations that go along with the rattling. and what could be the cause of the asthmatic "jet engine" noise it's started to make? when you rev you'll hear a raspy "hhhh" and then the miller whine revs up.

i am going to take it to the dealer and have them investigate the vac lines, because at above 1250 RPM there is a hiss. You can hear it towards {from front of car} the back left of the engine. No vac lines I can see are pulled or disconnceted, and you can also hear the hiss around the airbox.

OK... I've been thinking. If it is indeed that god damn supercharger

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1999-MILLEN...1QQcmdZViewItem

I could see about that as an alternative.

I drive back and forth every day to work. I cannot afford (literally) to have problems crop up because I must be at work every day, and on time. At least if something goes wrong with an L I can deal with it and not have the supercharger kill the entire engine. Some of you (cough cough BHR cough cough) may be upset that I am even considering an L, with all the fussing and complaining I did during the search for the Silver Ghost. If the Silver Ghost does indeed go belly up, the L will be an alternative. I will still have a millenia, and it will go back and forth to work. Granted I won't have the miller whine and it won't win any races but it will be somewhat more affordable and easier to fix than an S.

This is just a thought rolling around in my head, especially if I can't find a cheap supercharger. How much does that asshole dealer usually charge to replace it, if I walked in the door with an SC in my hand?

I guess I'm starting to think about it NOW, even IF the Silver Ghost can go 5-6k miles on its soon-to-be-bad supercharger, I want to be prepared.

see if we can get the CEL fixed, and since we only owe $4k or so on it and it's worth close to 9, sell it as soon as we get teh CEL fixed. Use the $5k to find another... i have to talk with the pops about it. See which is more feasable, to fix this one and worry about more problems, or get an L

today was very interesting. it had a lot of power and kept trying to get away from me (CEL still on) so I let it play for a while, 70-80mph for 5-10 min at a time. No rattle. Temp was mid 70s. The asthmatic whine was just barely there after getting off freeway.

The idle sounds a bit rougher, but no rattle. A couple of times it would mumble to itself but not like it's been doing.

After a period of rest the asthmatic whine came back but no rattle. No smoke, but reduced power.

Over the past couple of days when stopped, when it was whining asthmatically and you'd just barely turn the steering in either direction (enough to bump the RPM a little) it would make a pronounced growl+rattle. You'd hear a chatter as the engine got loaded. Not today. Not even a little.

I'm thinking the Fat Man's theory of S/C cavitation is correct. I think the asthmatic whining may be because it's dumping nealy all its boost to the air. Either way, next week on Weds I am going to the dealer and have them investigate the P1526, i don't care if it costs me $300, that light is going to be fixed. I can't have a blown S/C on my consience.