19" Tire Size Help

Greetings from a far MW, I will be back in the real world in a number of days. Im in the final stages of planning for my milly makeover. But i have a question whats the largest tire i can put on a 19 with no rubbing. Most sites are saying 225/35/19, but using this calc i found below. This size actually has a slightly smaller diameter than the original 215/55/16. I was really hoping for 235/40/19 or atleast 225/40/19 to protect the rim and give me the best possible ride. Who has 19's and what size tire you got ? Post a pic too, i would like to see if the rim is overwhelming or taking looks from the car. Please dont whore this topic cuzz im still overseas and the internet here is like a 14k dial up or sumn. I have to disable all pics just to visit this site and it still takes like 10 mins per page. Thanks ahead MW, ill get some pics of the final product asap...

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

welcome back kat, don't worry, unlike the pissbucket whoring outside of the lounge area is strictly controlled. As for rubbing, it will make a difference if its lowered or not, I don't remember off hand if your's is, but I swear you already had some bigger rims.

Anyway, the generally rule of thumb is that for every 10 in width you go up to go down 5 in height.

215/50

225/45

235/40 etc.

Now because your moving to a 19" rim a 235/35/19 will be a spot on match for your car, meaning your speedo will be correct etc. There isn't any reason you couldn't go slightly bigger, for example MTS runs a 255 tire on stock 17's with no rubbing, but not lowered. If you went with a 235/40/19 you would have your speedo slightly off, but its no big deal, the biggest downside would be weight.

Also, I currently run a 225/45/17, which puts my speedo off by almost the same amount as the 235/40/19 would, and I never notice it, all speedo's have an error of margin to begin with.

thanks bhr for the response, my car isnt lowered, ill keep it stock height. I do have rims now, but they are scuffed plus its time for tires. I think its a good reason to get rid of these and try to class the milly up a lil with a new set. Itll be part of my welcome home package after 8mnths of neglecting her. U put the 2" corksport springs on yours. Even with the drop you dont rub ? Im not worried about the speedo, as long as its close. My main concern is rubbing.

I do not know of anyone with rubbing issues, Even MTS which as stated above has 255.

I believe bhr has the 1.4" eibach drop. To my knowledge the only lowering springs for the millenia are the Eibach and H&R. Both are about 1.4 and really let the wheels sit flush all the way around.

Like the calculator said, With 235/40/19 when your speedo says 60mph your really going 62. Not at all a big difference, and as low speeds it will be an even smaller difference.

MTS's tires are 255/40/17, which would work out to almsot spot on factory match, by using this as a base you could run 255/35/19 and have no rubbing, plus have our speedo closer to stock then even the 235/40. 245/40/19 is about 4.9% off, again not really that much, but should have no rubbing issues. I actually can't think of anyone thats had rubbing issues except those who feel 20's are the way to go.

yeah 225/40's were my 1st choice, but my rims now are 18x8's. If i were to put the wheel between my knees and look straight down i can see the lip of the wheel. I dont think the tires protect enough width wise. The rims i am wanting to get are 19 x 8.5's so i dont think they will help at all even though most sites say 225's will fit an 8.5, i would like a little more coverage. This is the last set of wheels im puttin on the milly, so i want to do it right this time, i have a new project to waste my money on :)

• 3 weeks later...