Installed Garret Boost Gauge On The Milly S Today

Hey all,

Finally got around and installed a garret boost guage today.

At idle and under decel it holds a perfect 10lbs vacuum. Under WOT full boost is only 11-12psi, but thats because my IAT sensor is mounted wrong, and i have some CELs causing the engine to run a lil rich and retard timing...''safe mode''. Install was straight forward, took around 30mins...mainly to run pressure line to guage inside car.

Here are some pics

Boost guage T fitting

IPB Image

another pic of the T fitting

IPB Image

Garret 52mm Boost Guage

IPB Image

Engine bay pic

IPB Image

My 99 milly S

IPB Image

son of a bitch, I'v been waiting so long for someone to post where you hook it up

also, the only person I'v seen with a boost gauge was an almost brand new 02 S, in first gear it should be 7psi, and 14psi in all others

perhaps a boost gauge is a good way of knowing if the s/c is going out before there is smoke?

son of a bitch, I'v been waiting so long for someone to post where you hook it up

also, the only person I'v seen with a boost gauge was an almost brand new 02 S, in first gear it should be 7psi, and 14psi in all others

perhaps a boost gauge is a good way of knowing if the s/c is going out before there is smoke?

I do have a technical question for all you gurus....

i know on most boosted cars when the IAT senses inlet temps getting really hot then the ecu will pull timing only.

My question is since the miller cycle engine boost is controlled by the ECU, when there is a problem with the inlet temps getting hot or running too lean will the ECU tell the ABV to vent a certain amount of boost?

Because i floored it and yes it went to 7psi in first gear but only 12psi in other gears, i don't think i have any leaks as the car drives great.

how many miles are on your car?

as far as I know its a combination of the ecu and a few sensors, but because the MCE doesn't work like any other supercharged car its a bit different. I do know that the ecu seems to have final say, or atleast a safety system.

on the same millenia, again years ago we got one of those "40hp, 15mpg" chips off ebay for like 10 bucks, on the 2.5 it decreased mileage and didn't seem to add anything, but on the S it was a different story, the entire car went into some kind of protection mode, it would idle, but if you gave it any gas it would only go to 1500rpms then cut off. removed "chip" and it was fine

I'm with Lat on this one, if you're going to modify something, do it so it doesn't look modified. A black or white stock 't' or 'y' fitting along with black rubber hose, and route it so it goes under the intercooler duct.

As for your question, that's a good one...I can't help on that one.

We're not criticizing, just offering advice, and both of us are offering sound advice. Saint's right, that hose looks like it's going to blow off the fitting at any moment. Doing it right will prevent problems down the road. If he just burries the connection the way it is, in a short period of time he'll be digging it back up to fix the vacuum leak that will develop.

We're not criticizing, just offering advice, and both of us are offering sound advice. Saint's right, that hose looks like it's going to blow off the fitting at any moment. Doing it right will prevent problems down the road. If he just burries the connection the way it is, in a short period of time he'll be digging it back up to fix the vacuum leak that will develop.

its all good guys, that was a trial install anyway just to show yall a good accessible vacuum point on the manifold. i'm not going to leave plastic tubing laying over the manifold, and i'm goin to reroute everything so it looks cleaner and its out of harms way which is heat. Also going to man handle the hoses on the fittings better.

i still have to wire the gauge so i can get it to illuminate.

thanks for the advice tho guys.

wiring the gauge itself should be simple, just connect directly into the marker lights, I'm not sure if you need power all the time, I think the needle itself is dependant only on the vacuum, but this may vary.

Biggest thing is a vacuum line designed for under the hood and keeping it away from anything that could melt it.

Oh i got the point now. On 01-02 gauge lights are always on as you know. At full they are hella bright for night. Consider they are still visible even when sun shines on them. I dont care that much about other lights, they are out of my vision.

And you have LEDs, are they dimmer than bulbs?