Tranny Cooler/chi Stage 1 Installed Today

hey all,

well the Chi's stage 1 intake got installed today along with the hayden 1677 tranny cooler.

i didn't have a jack or stands so i had to go to pep boys and buy 8000lb ramps, and had to buy an extra 4ft of 3/8in hose for the tranny cooler.

the cooler is alot easier to install without the intake in the way as i found out. everything seems to be working fine, the cooler dissipates heat pretty well and the intake feels very responsive.

i took it out for a hard drive and came back and threw a check engine light it might be 02 sensors or something from last time.

when i got home the front end was smoking a smell of oil...but it cleared up after a few minutes i think some tranny oil got onto the manifold some how and was burning off, i check all the lines twice and then again, no leaks when i was letting her warm up so i came to the conclusion that it was burning off from when i disconnected the return line

i have a few pictures of the tranny install but they are not detailed enough, its a very straight forward install, you just have to see for yourself when you pull all that damn plastic lining out of the way, everything is conviently located...

----my stage 2 kit is going to take some time, i have to see if i can work it in with the 90degree bend some how maybe by some extra different degree couplings and go from there, from the looks of it, the 45 degree bend and the straight pipe might mate up to the 90 if you turn it just right, but its going to be difficult to fit 6 lines on a 5-7in piece of aluminum tubing.

I will post up the pics here shortly.

How did you securely fix it there is my question. I dont wanna drop a tranny cooler on the road..

it comes with zip tie type pieces and you slip them thru the front of the cooler and secure them on the back of the a/c condenser ( you have to make holes in the fins of the condenser to let the ties go thru, it takes time but its easy). You have to work at it to mount it correctly, but the pictures will show you a little, i will post some more in the daylight, all the pics below are at night, the cooler won't drop at all, its very light maybe one pound if that...

--tranny cooler from front of car, you can see 3/8in lines left and right (had to buy 4ft extra 3/8in hose to complete install, supplied hose is not enough). Left line goes to radiator, right line (return line) goes back to transmission. Notice the black ''zip ties'' that are next to left and right cooler line worm clamps, those you have to push thru the cooler and a/c condenser and use the backing connectors with supplied padding in the kit to zip them to the backside of the condenser, self explanatory once you look at the hardware in the hayden kit or which ever kit you buy, Hayden highly recommend. very easy install. You will gain 100% efficiency by placing the cooler in front of the a/c condenser.

IPB Image

--Line nearest MAF sensor connector is pump line from transmission, leave that one stock connected. The ''U'' shaped bend in lower part of picture, that has markings on the line goes from Radiator to Left side of cooler (front of car). This is a top view looking into engine bay without intake, you can see resonator box on the left. no intake makes an easier install of tranny cooler.

IPB Image

--this is Return line going into the transmission from the right side of the cooler (facing front of car), notice the transmission pan and radiator hose from engine.

IPB Image

i hope this was helpful, i just turned 21 not to long ago lol and haven't been under a car in a while, but i will get some more pics tomorrow of tranny cooler and chi's intake in the daylight. If you guys have any more Q's lemme know.

pictures...we seek pictures, pictures, we seek pictures.

do you know what the code is, did you get the sensor into the intake tube all the way, the hole chi drilled is perfect, so you kind of have to wiggle it in

BHR--no not yet about the code, i will get it checked at autozone this weekend and post it up, i'm curious to know b/c my boost guage is still only reading 12psi under WOT even with new intake. It must be 02 sensors...after running with those old posted codes for over a year now. <---don't bash me lol. my b...

As far as the hole on the intake, it is perfect. i had to find a rubber grommet and open up the diameter a lil on the grommet itself for the IAT sensor to fit correctly, seeing as the IAT tappers up in size nearing the flat flange part of the sensor, but it worked out just fine. Chi def did his R&D.

The CAI is unreal, i couldn't believe the responsiveness it gave, the car free revs and accelerates from dead stop and thru the gears like a Raped Ape! lol! (compared to stock or my old SRI, props to chi and money well spent).

you guys may not believe this, but go out and find a 03-06 (286hp stock nissan 350z auto or manual) and race them from a 30-40mph punch (2nd gear roll provides 14psi full boost instead of 7psi first gear) and you will be amazed how well the milly S does against those cars. my milly still holds her own for being a grocery getter lol.

damn... i was excited to get this all done tonight i celebrated with good ole jack daniels haha, NO Drunk Driving tho, just drunken forum typing... "cheers''. :whistling:

Zip ties i would not go with. As far as I see you have to remove the filter box to access the hoses. But do you have to go from below? I have some problems with rusted splash shield bolts that i dont wanna touch anymore (2 are broken splash shield dangling). Here is a good writeup for Mazda6. See how the guy secured the cooler.

http://www.mazda6tech.com/index.php?option...40&Itemid=1