Transmission Whine

soo...there is not much talk about the millenia s transmission although i think anyone can agree its a pretty common problem among the millenias. SOOOO...wat should one look/listen for if one is under the assumption that the transmission is about to fail? for instance...my transmission's whine is a lil loud. not too loud but loud enough to get me concerned. i also got a shift b solenoid issue and once every 5 months, that silly hold light starts flashing. soo...any input would be great along with some suggestions to prevent tranny failure and symptoms to diagnosing such failure. thanks. :thumbup1:

There is actually a TSB in regards to this issue. A cable or some kind running through the center underbody of the car causes this whine. Bulletin should be in TSB guide.

In order to make your transmission last the longest I suggest flushes no more then every 30k, as well asa transmission cooler if you are prone to auto-cross style driving.

is it possible to have a custom aluminum tranny pan with heat sinks and a drain plug created for the milly, possibly out of a mold from the original? how much would this pipe dream cost?

at least could we get a drain plug? could a machine shop add one to the pan?

ok...soo when i asked my mechanic two weeks ago to do a tranny flush, he kept on refusing saying that with the mileage on my car, itll fuck up the tranny and that i should keep the existing fluid. as retarded as that sounds (he also said that bmw's do it all the time. ive also heard this) wat do u think of this? should i heed his advice or do the tranny flush somewhere else?

Hold up, when if ever, was the fluid changed/flushed? What condition is the fluid in? And he's right, BMW's have a sticker on them saying NOT to change the fluid. If your fluid is original, or close to, then don't change it as you're already driving on borrowed time.

Newer Jaguar trannies are also "sealed for life". Looks like it means "sealed for it's short life" but still.

When did it become useful to skip such regular maintenance? Go figure. BMW has 50k km free service. It is of course cheaper with extended intervals on everything. Or no maintenance at all. Perfect. The first customer is sooooooo pleased. The second or third is paying the price. And those damn marketing executives came up with the idea :angry2: