Whats Wrong...

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i got my car back the mechanic said i had ad really bad busted leak in my air intake which was throwing the codes...so he fixed that and cleared the codes...but as i was going down the highway my cel came back on...he said he cleared them but car thinks the problem still exisits...is that true...he also said when he did the OBD he never got the EGR P0400 codes...so i dunno this sound bout right...the car runs much better though

P5000: De Javu

The cars pcm doesn't 'look' for problems, or remember past ones. If the cel comes on, then there's a problem (right now). The pcm only relays the message that there is a problem.

what was told by me is that the problem was fixed but i shouldnt expect to be able to leave the shop and go to a emissions place and pass...so therefore i should drive around some and test the fix and the Cel may or may not come back on.....he said that the car might recognize that its not fixed and throw a CEL but after a while it will find the fix and eventually turn off..

It is not Kitt, it doesnt have mind.

P5000: De Javu

The cars pcm doesn't 'look' for problems, or remember past ones. If the cel comes on, then there's a problem (right now). The pcm only relays the message that there is a problem.

what was told by me is that the problem was fixed but i shouldnt expect to be able to leave the shop and go to a emissions place and pass...so therefore i should drive around some and test the fix and the Cel may or may not come back on.....he said that the car might recognize that its not fixed and throw a CEL but after a while it will find the fix and eventually turn off..

^^^ is right. I like the Kitt reference btw.

The pcm expects a signal from each sensor, 5v for example. If the sensor is working then 5v will be sent from the sensor to the pcm, and a cel won't be thrown. If the sensor is shot (or something else causing the wrong reading) and only 3v is sent, then a cel will show up. If the codes were cleared, and they come back, then your mechanic didn't fix shit.