Cigarette Lighter

Here's the deal. I get in my car plug in my radar detector ($150), won't work....iPod accessory, won't work....car charger, works but only for a few minutes. I checked the fuse for the cigarette lighter, it has fire to it, we checked with a volt meter and is getting 12 volts, i also changed out the plug with another plug from advance auto parts and it still doesn't work any of the above accessories. I don't know what is wrong. I can't use anything in my car because of this problem. All the other millenias in town have radar detectors or etc in them. I'm wondering why mine doesn't work. What could be the problem? OH, I've tried plugging the same accessories into the console cigarette lighter outlet, and I get the same results....What is the problem? What can fix this? I even tried changing the style of tip for the plug in on the radar detector from a round ended silver thing on the black plug to a square silver tip and it does nothing.....I'm confused...any help will be GREATLY appreciated!

Colby

Oh, I've made sure that all my little accessories work. I plugged in my iPod, radar detector, car phone charger, and iPod charger in my sister's millenia, mom's car, dad's truck, brother's truck, and several other friend's vehicles just to be sure that these items work.

Thanks

Mine is dead as well, but good fuse. The chink whore that had the car before us was a smoker, so the lighter tip thingy where you touch the cigarette is all corroded and melted. The inside of the socket is clean, but if you try and pull the lighter out, the entire socket comes out as well.

Yeah, I went to Advance Auto Parts and got a whole new socket/unit. I tried that, and it powered my cell phone charger but nothing else. So, and yes I have taken off the wood grain and got behind there to make sure all the wires were connected.....Ok, what do I do now? Someone said something about a bad ground connection, what does that do?

In a car, basically everything is connected via one cord for supply, usually positive unless some english Joseph Lucas crap. Then the negative supply is via the ground or chassis connection, as the negative terminal from the battery is connected to ground. Bad ground connection is a common reason for malfunction. Unless the cigarette lighter socket is mounted in metal, it has a ground connection to the outer housing, while the positive supply is in the centre back part. You'd need a multimetre to be able to troubleshoot such problems yourself. There are also lots of really crappy plugs around, but it is not likely all the items you've tried are inferior.

yeah but my stepdad said something about positive and negative...i'll ask him again, he was the one working on it....but he's stumped...i don't know what is wrong with it.....do i now replace all of the wires behind the wood grain, something behind that plug is not working, because we tried a brand new plug and it didn't work, so we put the brand new plug back in it's package and took it back to Advance.

Take a multimeter, and check the voltage on the plug that the lighter plug plugs into (I actually don't know a better way to say that). Make sure the keys are in the 'on' position when you do this. If no power there, then keep backtracking.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, this is no help. I don't know what y'all are talking about. Can I go to the junk yard and get a cigarette lighter whole piece from the 02 millenia they have there? Lemme know.

• 2 weeks later...

First of all, your reply, excluseiveonez, was no where near close to an answer for my problem, and yes everyone can be a bitch, I'm not one though. No one asked your 2 cents worth...All I asked was for an answer to my question and you come back with some smart ass answer like you're all smart. first of all let me tell you, I'm very smart, probably much smarter than you, and I can figure out just about anything. I graduated 2nd in my class. So stop calling me and my dad a shitty mechanic and a bitch and lets get back to my ORIGINAL question. I'm actually looking to do this the simple way....thanks. So unless I ask for a smart ass reply from you, dont reply to my questions. thanks

I tried that already with the multimeter and everything seemed to have voltage to it....but i couldn't figure it out. I also checked the fuse and it is normal. I changed the fuse and still got the same results.

that is what im saying, i changed the plug with one from Advance Auto Parts.

yes im sure, because i put it in my sister's millenia and it worked fine, but her original one works fine....that's how i know it worked.