Tail Light Mod, Opinions.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thats the problem I have, I would perfer to use all 4 lights as stock, but bevause of the poor difference, I would rather go with more of an led style for safety reasons.

I'm going to start carrying around a 20lbs rusted chain in the back of my car to swing at people if they try to tail gate me

any luck?

I saw a spec of dust on a door jam so I went and detailed and fully waxed every single crack and doorjam in the car

I did try this out by switching in a 7440 bulb, it worked how I intended, but I'm mixed.

I like all 4 on with the look, but under braking at night I think this is pretty cool. I'm not sure how legal it would be, I assume no problem, but looking around most cars have 4 lights and then only 1 set goes to high, seems counterproductive. The mod is done, I just need to decide if I want to keep it or not

I don't think it would be illegal, there are a lot of cars that use the same two bulbs for the brake lights and turn signals. You would still have low lights, brake lights including the back window/spoiler, and a seperate turn signal, so there are pleanty of lights.

The only thing I'm not sure i would like is the appearance from the back with only the outer tails on.

no, the way I'm doing it all 4 would be on for high, what you want to do is actually have a light go out under braking, I think that would attract much more attention.

I don't think you want lights going out when you brake!

If you mean some lights come on but others go out, then the total light output might be the same and people won't notice a shift in the lights.

You definitely want the lights to go brighter when you brake.

G.

I don't think it would be illegal, there are a lot of cars that use the same two bulbs for the brake lights and turn signals. You would still have low lights, brake lights including the back window/spoiler, and a seperate turn signal, so there are pleanty of lights.

The only thing I'm not sure i would like is the appearance from the back with only the outer tails on.

i don't have a spoiler...and the cars you're talking about have the same tails lamps do BOTH turn signal and brakes...it's not really the same thing are what i'm talking about...

no, the way I'm doing it all 4 would be on for high, what you want to do is actually have a light go out under braking, I think that would attract much more attention.

I do have to replace one #74 in my dash thats flickering, but no other problems anywhere in the car

that's not correct...i don't want any lights to go out while braking...i simply want JUST the inners or outers to come on...

for example, on low, all four tails are on...when the brakes are applied the inners remain low and the outers go to high...there are plenty of cars on the road that use this method...

for bh's method, it would be one thing if he had JUST the inners work as the brakes when applied and go off completely on low, while the outers were used simply as fogs (aka on on low)..it's another to have both the inners and outers come on on high and then have the inners go off...that looks more suspicious than my method b/c no cars do that one the road...and makes the inners appear to have bad filaments

If you just remove the wire for the inner rear brake lights, or re-base the bulb socket so it takes a single filament bulb only, you will accomplish this. Too easy. Must be the inners though, the outers are monitored for the cruise control, hence all the troubles with the LEDs.