Tail Light Mod, Opinions.

So I had this idea which appears on alot of more modern cars with 4 brake lights. Currently when you hit the brakes all 4 brake lights come on, when you have your lights on and not on the brakes all 4 lights are on low.

I was thinking of making it so when on low only the outer taillights are lite, on low. And then when the brake is applied the inners come on full and the outers go to full.

Alot of cars do this, but I was thinking it would make drop in LED's much safer since the high/low difference isn't that great. I figure 2 extra lights suddenly appearing on and very bright send a much more powerful "stop now shithead" message

I love the look of the 01-02 tails cruising by, but at the same time love the look of 2 light pretty far apart cruising into the night. Just an idea I thought id float by.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought yours was the opposite, when you hit the brakes your outers go out and the inners come on, or one or the other.

daylight operation would be exactly the same, and under braking at night all 4 would be on high, just when on low only the outers would be on.

I don't need to clip any wires, simply reverse the LED bulb, or just put in a 7440.

My biggest concern is possible bringing back the cruise control issue or anything eles. I know it was fixed with resistors on the outer lights, so I would assume its only the outer lights that affect it, but I worry about 2 bulbs out, and the highs being LED causing problems.

Right now I have only 1 drive scheduled until march, sometime this week when its dry, then it will be put away and winter detailing begin, so I will have limited time to experiment. I only have an 8 mile drive setup currently, mostly to heat cycle the tires and circulate fuel stablizer.

So I had this idea which appears on alot of more modern cars with 4 brake lights. Currently when you hit the brakes all 4 brake lights come on, when you have your lights on and not on the brakes all 4 lights are on low.

I was thinking of making it so when on low only the outer taillights are lite, on low. And then when the brake is applied the inners come on full and the outers go to full.

Alot of cars do this, but I was thinking it would make drop in LED's much safer since the high/low difference isn't that great. I figure 2 extra lights suddenly appearing on and very bright send a much more powerful "stop now shithead" message

I love the look of the 01-02 tails cruising by, but at the same time love the look of 2 light pretty far apart cruising into the night. Just an idea I thought id float by.

I really like the idea, it would be a well defined difference between braking and not. I hate driving behind cars where you have to guess whether its on high or low, it will be much better.

saint, umm thats more of less what I said.

low = outers only

brakes applied = all 4

I would never do the opposite where lights go out. Its becoming increasing the trend with led taillights to have very little light on low, maybe just a ring or something, but then on high its like a hell storm of light.

I did not get a chance to dig into this tonight so I can't speak for any issues

Bahahahahahahahahahahaaaaaaaa

I like the idea as well. Just snip the wires or remove the bulbs :hmm:

saint, umm thats more of less what I said.

low = outers only

brakes applied = all 4

I would never do the opposite where lights go out. Its becoming increasing the trend with led taillights to have very little light on low, maybe just a ring or something, but then on high its like a hell storm of light.

I did not get a chance to dig into this tonight so I can't speak for any issues

yeah i think i want mine to be:

low = all four

brakes applied = outers only

I would do this mod if the 500 actually had 4 bulbs, it's an excellent idea. Personally I'd do it the way BHR is describing for maximum distinction between low and high, however Don's way is used by the Accord Euro (TSX?) and others so is a known quantity also. Keep in mind, though, the low/high distinction might be abysmal if you are using LEDs...

Also, unlike filament bulbs, LED bulbs go to full (high) brightness with just the brakes pressed. As a result, the job is as simple as disconnecting the "low" wiring from 2 of the bulbs to achieve what BHR wants. Whereas Don is wanting to disconnect the "high" wiring from 2...

i hear ya...i'll have to take another look at my tails again tonight..

you made the comment about my method making my tails look like the filament is burnt out...right now i have red 7443's in there to give them blood red look..i was thinking i would just switch the inner back to regular bulbs...this way they can remain on in low, but you'll be able to slightly tell that the outters are for the brakes and the inners are just fogs..