Part Number: PZFR5F-11

Unit Price: $11.71

Extended Price: $70.26

-NGK Premium wire set

Stock Number: 8163

Part Number: ZE32B

Unit Price: $78.13

Extended Price: $78.13

Now I have a question, I have never changed sparkplugs. Asked my teacher for help and he said to be patient, but I want to do this now. The question is, is there any sealant or Loctite type stuff that I put around the sparkplugs to create a good seal or is it screw out, screw in done?

Im also ordering:

Distributor cap and gasket

Distributor rotor

Fuel Filter

Brake pads and rotors

New wheel well splash guards.

-Steven

I hope you have a 2.5, because the S doesn't use a distributor, unless broken you don't need a new rotor or anything, HOWEVER, if your going to replace the spark plugs you would be much better off to replace the spark plug wires or upgrade to performance ones.

The laser plats are the exact same plugs I have in my car, not sure who has used them in a 2.5 but should be fine.

As for sealant DO NOT!!!!! use loc-tite, could not be a worst thing to use.

Now some people will disagree, but I have never used anything on any car when changing plugs, what I like to do is blow out the hole a bit, just to make sure nothing can fall into the cylinders while the old plug is removed, go one at a time, some people recommend putting anti-seize on the plug threads, just a tiny dab, it will make it easier to remove later on, but if you change them at the required intervals you should be fine.

Use penetrating oil spray if they are very hard to get out, then use anti-sieze grease on the threads and tighten to 11-16 ft.lbs and no tighter than that. You should also put dielectric boot protector gel on the ceramic top part of the plug which keeps your boots from freezing on the plug. The anti-sieze grease and boot gel come in small foil packages at the checkout in autozone for about $1 each and there is more than enough there for all 6 plugs.

Aww crap, I dont have a torque wrench. I have PB blaster and dielectric grease stuff. Ill have to buy anti-seize. What should I do about not having the torque wrench? Buy a cheap one? (I dont even know how to use one yet, but ill figure it out.)

Thanks

-Steven

You can rent them at autozone, but it might be a good idea to buy a cheap one if you think you will be able to use it enough. I use it most often whenever I remove the wheels the lugs need to be torqued to 80 ft. lbs, and a lot of things in the engine have torque values, especially the aluminum parts. I always re-torque the wheels too if someone touches them if I get new tires or wheels balanced or something. Usually they are torqued at all different values and I loosen them and hand torque to 80.

And they are very easy to use. As far as I know there are two kinds. On one of them you turn the handle to the value and tighten the bolt until the wrench clicks, and on the other you tighten and watch the needle on a scale until you hit the torque value.

You will need to have one for the sparkplugs even if you borrow it from someone. If you over-torque them this time you will not have a fun time removing them the next time, or you could end up breaking one which would turn a very easy job into an expensive repair.

Only put a little anti-seize on the threads of the plugs, don't coat the shit out of them. Anti-seize is an insulator, and as such, if you put too much you'll diminish the contact between the plug and head causing poor spark. NGK wires are really good, the only reason I didn't replace mine with NGK was vanity, I wanted black wires.

Ok thanks guys, I will see if I find a conductive anti-sieze if not I wont even put any since I know how bad an engine can run when not properly grounded. My car isnt even running wierd but I thought I should just change them now that im only driving 7 miles to school instead of my high school that was 60 miles roundtrip a day.

-Steven