P0431

P0431 - Catalytic converter performance problem

Four o2 sensor system (KJ / KL engine with three catalytic converters) - Two upper sensors are mounted upstream of the front and rear bank warm-up three-way catalysts (WUTWC) for fuel trim monitoring. The two lower sensors are mounted downstream of each WUTWC to monitor catalyst performance. The third catalytic converter mounted underneath the vehicle is not monitored.

Possible Causes

Catalytic converter deterioration or malfunction

Exhaust gas leakage

Oxygen sensor not tightened properly

Oxygen sensor malfunction

Did you run some low octane gas through?

It sounds like just the o2 sensors are bad, I recently heard that if the downstream o2's throw a code at the same time but the upper ones are fine it means your cat is almost gone. I don't know how many miles are on yours but there really only good for around 130k at most

From what I read on it it seems that there are only 2 problems which would be either the sensor or the cat itself, since o2 sensors are common failures on almost all cars, I would start cheap and replace the o2 sensor, if it goes away then your good, if not its your cat, at which point I would tell you to get a super cheap hi-flow replacement and maybe a custom exhaust, you can get a high flow cat from magnaflow for around 80 bucks

apparently when you mixed cough syrup, diet coke, chicken penne, and cartoons you get acid, I could have sworn you were jdubs.

anycrap

when you had the exhaust redone they probably would have told you if your cat was gone, I advise you change the o2 sensor, sparkplugs.com has them pretty cheap.

Make sure you dont put high octane again. Otherwise you will foul the cats or get emissions like bhrs. :whistling:

we've been through this.

the low octane is going to destroy your car, not mine, and considering my emissions levels on a non-ca spec car, with a high flow cat its lower, I wish it was higher for hippies to choke on, but its not so I drive a jeep.

street - yes there is a way to check but I'm not EXACTLY sure, because you take out the o2 sensor and measure the resistance of it, if it stays betwee a certain point it should be good, if not its bad, but I don't know what the range is or exactly how to do this.

if you had a way of looking down the exhaust you could simply see the condition, which I assume an exhaust shop would have told you if it was going out

which are both wrong, dead fucking wrong and I'm tired of hearing how 1970's technology worked, and lat your just doing damage.

or maybe its fools driving HIGH COMPRESSION engines in traffic and for daily use, when driven as intended you need even higher octane to take advantage of everything, MTS is thinking of selling his, ren's is long gone and gave him only trouble, let you will ruin your damn car, mts had the clogged cats remember, not me.

street - there is only so much to an exhaust, you can check the resistance of the o2 sensors, or replace the cat, but your going to have to do something.

FYI, when I do obtain another millenia I will run 1-2 tanks of INCORRECT octane through, then spend the time to burn it all off and clean the injectors, and have a PROPER air/fuel flush done to clean it out, put in CORRECT fuel and reap the benefits of doing what combined is 10's of millions of dollars and manhours of research and development.

might even try on of those ebay chips, I bet they won't even be as bad as low octane shit, probably do less damage 2. Oh and lat, when you knocke sensors go out, the engine is full of carbon, cats are clogged, exhaust is split, car is running like shit and you are overwhelmed and have to sell, fuck that, you are going to sit there and fix every single problem, including cleanhing the tank out with a toothbush before putting CORRECT octane in