Gas Tank Question

Quick question - The gas tank of the millenia, is it a type of plastic, or metal - it looks far to complex to be metal.

I'm getting damn tired of people thinking you should fill your gas tank to the top before storage, all this does is allow MORE gas to sit and possibly go bad, even if oyu add fuel stablizer, they claim rust and condensation is the reason

1. In a modern fuel injection system its sealed and pressurized, thats why they check the cap at inspection.

2. plastic will not rust.

running as little gas as possible to keep the engine running is the best way to go, with fuel stablizer or course, then adding fresh gas for start up. I personally like to go and fill a 5 gallon can, then fill the millenia before starting.

Why to fill up if its plastic? Condensation will occur only up to all water vapor inside the tank is condensed. It is not continuous since the whole system is sealed and there is no way for fresh humid air to get in if you dont run it. Rust is not an issue in this case as well.

EXACTLY, I don't worry about condensation, my biggest fear storing the millenia is flat spotting and the fuel going bad, so I also add some extra fuel stablizer, about 1oz more then recommended (per tank, not gallon) and inflate the tires more.

To give you an idea of how little chance there is of rust forming, this is the first year it has been kept in this garage which is semi climate controlled, millenia was parked right before thanksgiving and put into the carcapsule and not a spec of rust has formed on the brake rotors.

Of all things, rust on the brake rotors would be the very first thing, thats how little moisture there is - so you can see why its fine.

I do believe I'll start leaving the door and trunk at first lock instead of all the way shut though

It doesn't. Not during less than a year. In a nonsealed tank it will lose some of the lightest and easiest igniting components, which may lead to more reluctant starting. Topping up the level upon startup takes care of that. As we all know, storage beyond a few months is devestating to all vehichles. Those who do deserve problems.

Crude oil has been in the ground, cut off from air yes

highly refined oil mixed with other chemicals and such have not.

You CAN use gas with stabilzer, most modern ones can even be used to help clean injectors, but like I'v been saying, most older people with older style tanks and carbs would have a full tank with the stabilzer. I keep as little as possible and generally top off with 5 gallons of perfectly fresh gas before starting.