Pic Of The New Mod

the tweeter isnt wired up yet. i will look into hooking it up with the bose system but am planning on upgrading the sound this summer at which time an aftermarket tweeter will go in the 01-02 covers.

I got mine from a part car but you can order the covers from tasca for $15 each, i dont think that includes the speaker. part #T060-69-111D right, T060-69-171D left. i dont have a part number for the speaker..

Thanks, I do not need the speaker because I want to use aftermarket. Plus, I am sure it would be overpriced at the dealer. I will save those numbers since there is a fairly good chance my fabricated tweeter mounts will not work out.

Are your front speakers bose or aftermarket? If they are aftermarket, you should be fine running the tweeters parallel with the bose amps. If they are bose speakers though, wire in series - with reduced output, or wait until you get a new headunit/amp. Parallel with the bose speakers will push the bose amp beyond its limits.

Thanks, I do not need the speaker because I want to use aftermarket. Plus, I am sure it would be overpriced at the dealer. I will save those numbers since there is a fairly good chance my fabricated tweeter mounts will not work out.

Are your front speakers bose or aftermarket? If they are aftermarket, you should be fine running the tweeters parallel with the bose amps. If they are bose speakers though, wire in series - with reduced output, or wait until you get a new headunit/amp. Parallel with the bose speakers will push the bose amp beyond its limits.

Not sure about it. Tweeters are low load, should be in parallel to main speakers. Otherwise (in series) there will barely be sound from door speakers..

Not sure about it. Tweeters are low load, should be in parallel to main speakers. Otherwise (in series) there will barely be sound from door speakers..

Most aftermarket speakers including tweeters are 4 ohms, and the bose are either 1 or 2 ohms with the amplifier designed for exactly that. So aftermarket speakers parallel to aftermarket tweeters will give 2 ohms which is fine for the amp, but if you wire parallel with the bose you will increase the load to 0.8 or 1.3 ohms (depending on if the bose are 1 or 2 ohms). It won't instantly destroy the amp, but it will be working harder and could potentially do damage over time. Series will give you 5 or 6 ohms, so the amp will not be damaged but will be working below its full ability. Output of the tweeters and door speakers will both be reduced equally, so fading to the front will even it out at the cost of your max volume being reduced.

A capacitor??

A capacitor works as a passive high-pass crossover. Inductors are the opposite and work as passive low-pass crossovers. All you will find inside the crossover of aftermarket tweeters is a series of capacitors and possibly inductors to filter out the low frequencies.

Aftermarket tweeters usually come with a separate crossover - which is nothing more than a plastic box that holds the capacitor(s). The OEM tweeters I have seen just have the cap soldered on to the back so it ends up being in series with either one of the leads. I think that some of the aftermarket crossovers use a series of caps/inductors only to achieve a sharper rolloff, which is why it is not on the speaker itself. It is really the same in either case, but it needs to have some kind of crossover to filter out the low frequencies. You shouldn't need an extra cap because there should be a properly rated crossover/soldered on cap already. In the rare case that there isn't there or you want a custom crossover frequency, there are calculators/equations to figure out what kind of cap is needed.

Forgot the optical tweeter protection in most good seperate tweeters and cross-overs.

I did not realize that there was another level of protection in those crossovers. It makes sense that it would usually not be needed in OEM tweeters because the power output of the headunit wouldn't exceed the tweeter's rating, but it could become a problem in aftermarket systems.