Intermittent Starting

cep623

I have a 2000 Milly with a 2.5 ltr with 287k

for the past 3 months I've been having an intermittent problem with it starting.

I'll go to start the car and all I get is one click from the starter, the on the second or third try it will start like normal. this has only happen 4 times in the past 3 months.

I'm not sure if it's the solenoid or the relay for the starter...or something else.

any help would be great, thanks in advance

for the past 3 months I've been having an intermittent problem with it starting.

I'll go to start the car and all I get is one click from the starter, the on the second or third try it will start like normal. this has only happen 4 times in the past 3 months.

I'm not sure if it's the solenoid or the relay for the starter...or something else.

It could be a weak battery, corrosion on connections between the battery and starter, or the starter itself. Does it click and sound like an electric motor humming? Or just the click and silence?

i had something similar not that long ago... something to try which costs nothing... Go to your battery and look at the negative clean the terminal with sandpaper. Then follow the negative cable to where it ground out. Unscrew it clean area and connection with sandpaper if corrosion is there. Connect back up and test that out. if not then follow the previous advices.

if by any chance it is a starter... good luck. i just did mine yesterday and it was PITA for me since im not a small person. Ill be feeling that replacement for about a week or so. If you do have a question about the changing of the starter you can ask me ill help you out as much as i can. and PM me the question if i dont answer here since i dont frequent this forums much.

When I replaced the knock sensor (and portmatched the heads), I jacked up the front like 8 inches. Made me able to rest over the fender while working. Portmatching alone was like 8- 10 hours effective bent over engine work. I did have trouble getting back up on my feet more than once... Still worth it :D

Whenever I am going to be working on the engine for a while I always grab one tool at a time so I have to keep standing and walking to get the next one. That wouldn't work for portmatching, but it saves me a lot of pain after sparkplugs or something similar.

When I replaced the knock sensor (and portmatched the heads), I jacked up the front like 8 inches. Made me able to rest over the fender while working. Portmatching alone was like 8- 10 hours effective bent over engine work. I did have trouble getting back up on my feet more than once... Still worth it :D

:hmm: interesting... jacking up the car how come i didnt think of that but im gonna have to jack it up more that 8in. prob a foot or so. I'm 6ft 4in, in us measuring (193cm in the rest of the world) and its a huge bend i have to do.... if it was a straight bend over type deal i would still be too close to the hood. i had to stand 3feet away from the car and lean on the fender to be at a good distance from the engine. :D

• 2 weeks later...

I had this problem with my 02 milly. It was the starter.