Help! Hydrolocked!

Yesterday I unfortunately drove through a very deep puddle on the highway! Car stalled and will not start! My mech is going to take all the spark plugs out, drain the water from the cylinders, and pray the engine isn't broken!! If it is, what are my options for scrapping or if any of you are interested?!? Please let me know ASAP

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yesterday I unfortunately drove through a very deep puddle on the highway! Car stalled and will not start! My mech is going to take all the spark plugs out, drain the water from the cylinders, and pray the engine isn't broken!! If it is, what are my options for scrapping or if any of you are interested?!? Please let me know ASAP

Sad. Stock intake?

wait wait wait!!!!

This is a very vry big issue with anyone who offroads

How much water got in? how long did the engine run? was there any knocking or pinging sounds? Often times a mechanic will tell you an engine is toast yet 99.999% of the time on Jeep forums people fix it and drive another 100k.

If it IS gone - insurance, full value.

Also have a chitown and find it very hard to believe enough water went into the engine to cause damage. First of all you would have to fully submerged it in over a foot of water. The filter is behind the guard for a reason. No way water is going to travel through the filter, up the near vertical tube, through the MAF sensor mess AND make it through the air box on the TB.

It's very possible some got in and went into some vacuum lines but thats worst case.

Remove battery

Remove spark plugs (all)

let it just plain sit and dry (or use hair dryer)

Spray some oil into the cylinders and manually crank engine over a few times, If the cylinders move you should be good. Check to make sure no pistons are bent and you don't hear metal on metal contact

Change oil (just to be safe)

Seriously, I do not believe your engine is done. Put it back together after a day or so making sure ZERO water is present. Reinstall battery, fire it up. If you hear noise then stop, if its fine but its fine. Do not let a mechanic fire it up without letting it actually dry first.

On the trail people 100% submerge entire engines, if it does actually hydrolock we take out the plugs and let it sit over night. Have yet to see one not refire.

...how much flipping water are we talking about?

You said a puddle on the highway? you floored it and prayed? why not coast through? this sounds more like a small lake.

It still sounds like it can be saved but it needs to totally dry and you have to turn the engine over by hand instead of letting the starter do it.

Ok seriously, who reopens a highway if its still flooded? too much water? sit on the side of the road and do nothing. There is no where you have to be in such a hurry to ruin a car. At times/river crossings I'v gone into water as deep as 3 feet. Submerging part of engine, full exhaust, many electronics just not full filter.

When we had flooding I would drive my Jeep through 12-20" of standing water...a lifted jeep where the filter is seriously about 4 ft from the ground.

Mechanics are looking to tell you the engine is toast because they want the labor and parts mark-up of a new engine.

Seriously, take your time. There is a guide in the tech section about how to change out the sparkplugs step by step. Just follow that + drain oil. Also when you drain the oil do it in an open pan and look for signs of water in it. If no water at all is in oil you should def be good. To crank over the engine put a large wrench on balancer/crank and turn. (Can use belt changing guide for pics) You'll have to remove front intercooler for fron bank of spark plugs - check for water there as well. Sounds stupid but with battery removed go and have it tested just to be sure its fine

Take off the intake as well and confirm no water is inside. Dry the filter if wet. Blow compressed air into cylinders, hell if you can take a cell phone camera with a flash and try to get a picture inside.

Take your time and go slow, its more then worth it. If any water is hiding I would bet its in the airbox between chitown intake and TB.

Here is drivebelt guide if needed

http://www.mazdaworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=1150

Here is the plug changing guide

http://www.mazdaworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=3784

Take your time and go slow, its a learning experience. Just make sure to keep every bolt with what it goes with, take pictures if needed so you can put it all back together. The big thing is making sure there is no water, letting it dry and changing the oil.

Front plugs are super easy, basically just remove front intercooler (like 4 bolts in plain view + clamps then pull)and then the coilpacks are right here, rear plugs are the ones that are more of an issue. Start with the intake and front plugs, if you see NO water in any of them thats only a good sign.

So basically this mechanic is crap. They take the time (and bill you) for removing spark plugs but don't check the intake?

I also have the chitown intake and the only place I see water getting and sitting is in that airbox with like 8 tubes coming out before the intake and after the TB.

How much water was in there? If I were you I would now pull off the vacuum lines of that box and follow them - disconnect if possible, if nothing else blow compressed air through and hope it all drains into oil. Check TB if possible. Have you been able to see any water in cylinders yet?

What about filter itself, wet?