Rode In A G'old Beast Today

A friend I haven't seen in at least 5 years showed up on my doorstep yesterday. He was, incidentally driving a 98 milly S that's gold. He picked it up for cheap as he just needed something to get around in. He mentioned that the tranny shifted hard so we went for a spin. Sure enough, it seems that the clutches in the tranny are slipping a little. As such, he's going to see if he can source a tranny for a swap.

If anyone is parting one out locally (Southwestern Ontario) let me know.

Not back Saint, just visiting.

Sadly were now in an era where people buy them just to get around, It may be another 10 years or so before they reach collector status

It's we're, sadly, some things never change.

Update: My friend sourced a low mileage tranny for $500 and then was quoted 8 hours labor to change it. I laughed when I heard that, looks like I'll be under the hood of a milly again some time soon.

ride

ride [rīd]

verb (past rode [rōd], past participle rid·den [rídd'n], present participle rid·ing, 3rd person present singular rides)

1. transitive and intransitive verb sit on and control horse: to sit on a horse or other animal and control it as it moves along

2. transitive and intransitive verb travel on bike: to travel mounted on a bicycle or motorcycle

3. transitive verb use sports equipment: to support your weight and move on a skateboard, surfboard, or other piece of gliding or rolling sports equipment

4. transitive and intransitive verb travel as passenger: to travel as a passenger in a vehicle

5. transitive and intransitive verb U.S. travel in elevator: to travel in an elevator

6. transitive verb travel over area: to travel across an area of land

ride the range

7. transitive verb be in race: to take part in a race or other event on a horse or bike

8. intransitive verb appear to be floating: to appear to be floating in the sky or moving like a floating object

riding the air currents

9. intransitive verb do something effortlessly: to do something successfully and apparently effortlessly, as if carried along by a wave

riding on a tide of sympathy

10. intransitive verb depend on something: to depend on something for success

Her future rides on this interview.

11. intransitive verb be allowed to continue: to continue without intervention or alteration

Let it ride for now.

12. intransitive verb handle well or badly: to function in a particular way while moving

a car that rides well over rough ground

13. transitive verb automotive partially depress clutch or brake: to put your foot on the clutch or brake, partially depressing it, while driving

14. transitive verb nautical swimming surfing rise on top of wave: to rise up on a wave and move forward with it

15. transitive and intransitive verb nautical anchor: to be moored with the anchor down, or moor a ship by dropping its anchor

a ship riding at anchor

16. intransitive verb engineering be supported by something: to be supported by something such as a pivot or an axle

Most of the weight rides on the central shaft.

17. transitive verb tease or torment somebody: to tease or torment somebody with criticism or mockery (informal)

riding me about my hair

noun (plural rides)

1. journey by vehicle or animal: a journey or outing in a motor vehicle or on an animal

Let's go for a ride.

2. transportation in vehicle: a means of transportation as a passenger in a vehicle, especially when this is offered to somebody who would otherwise have to walk or use public transportation

3. automotive quality of travel: the quality of travel in a motor vehicle

The new model offers a very smooth ride.

4. leisure fairground entertainment: an entertainment at an amusement park or carnival that offers a physically thrilling experience, e.g. a roller coaster

5. riding roads path for horses: a broad grassy path where horses can be ridden

6. music jazz cymbal: one of the three cymbals in a drum set, used to keep time and mark rhythmic accents in jazz

[ Old English rīdan < Indo-European]

-rid·a·ble, adjective

be riding high to be enjoying a period or feeling of success

ride roughshod over somebody to treat somebody very arrogantly without justice or consideration for his or her feelings

ride roughshod over something to disregard a rule, law, or agreement

ride shotgun to sit in the front passenger seat of a car (informal)

take somebody for a ride to cheat or deceive somebody

Microsoft® Encarta® 2008. © 1993-2007 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

• 2 weeks later...