new alternator belt

jluster05

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Your belt probably broke and fell off while driving then. When you get a new belt, be sure to loose up the tensioner, first the 17 nut in the centre of the tensioner wheel, and then a 10 rachet pipe on the tensioner adjustment, which is facing upwards right outside the timing belt cover. Once the belt is in place, retighten with about 15- 20 mm spell on the front part of the belt. Then retighten the centre nut and your Milly should be back on track. I changed the belt and tensioner on 90000 km, started making noise. Changing the tensioner was a bit tight.

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Your belt probably broke and fell off while driving then. When you get a new belt, be sure to loose up the tensioner, first the 17 nut in the centre of the tensioner wheel, and then a 10 rachet pipe on the tensioner adjustment, which is facing upwards right outside the timing belt cover. Once the belt is in place, retighten with about 15- 20 mm spell on the front part of the belt. Then retighten the centre nut and your Milly should be back on track. I changed the belt and tensioner on 90000 km, started making noise. Changing the tensioner was a bit tight.

sounds good i went to autozone and they told me thats what i need...but there sometimes not as smart...the belt was only like 12 is that good...also i was having some power steering problems...would that belt tie in to that PS not functioning properly

To just change the belt its not necessary to raise the car. The tensioner is another story though. One tip to get that cooler hose out of the way: take some sort of luggage strap around the mid part of it and tighten it up against the engine like 2- 3 inches, makes it easier to access the belt.

ok i got it fixed....but it didnt fix my power steering problem....is hard as fu*k to turn my wheel...i thought all those belts ran the other pumps and such or there is a separate one...i read about a serpentine belt...is that the belt or is that the belt i just replaced..so confused?

for the pictures its the serpentine belt, but yes, it does power the power steering pump.

Do you know how the belt broke?? its possible the power steering pump locked up and burned out the belt, but thats just a possiblity, for example, were you hacving steering issues before the belt broke

Ok....i took my car to firestone a few min ago...and the technician said i had a faulty power steering pump....with the car running...we opened the hood and turned the wheel; we noticed that when we encountered resistance the pulley would stop...therefore its a faulty pump....does that sound bout right?

Sounds right. Bad luck there sir, no doubt the reason why your belt disappeared then. Changing the pump might be a professional job if you're not comfortable with the task yourself. I've never worked on those, probably someone else here though. The car has to be jacked up and the right lower wheelhouse cover must come off to access the pump.

I'v never changed the power steering pump on a mazda, only on a jeep, it is a modular unit, usually only held on by 4 belts.

the normal procedure is removing the belt, a few belts, and disc the hose and its off. It can get messy, just remember to buy some power steering fluid to put back in. No need to drain really, but try and keep as much in the hose as possible.

oh and btw, the pump locking up and burning the belt is the reason it went. I would get this taken care of soon before it ruins another belt.

Sounds right. Bad luck there sir, no doubt the reason why your belt disappeared then. Changing the pump might be a professional job if you're not comfortable with the task yourself. I've never worked on those, probably someone else here though. The car has to be jacked up and the right lower wheelhouse cover must come off to access the pump.

yea i didnt plan on doing it myslef...i got some guys to do it...for me...i just bought the pump for 98.88 at autozone just hope this is the last of my troubles least for the time being...while im on the sub....i just hit my 100k mark what kind of things need to be done to keep up performance...ie tune-up etc.

100 k sounds like a low milage to get a pump failure to me, according to my experience with other cars, Mazda and Toyota. 160000 miles before need of major repair is my minimum expectation. But fair enough, you got a good price I guess. And a belt failure most certainly wouldn't take out the pump, definately the other way around.