Shock replacement?

///BHRpowered

Not for a mazda, but I have never actually changed out shocks before and was just wondering how most people do it. I mean if I unbolt them top and bottom , is it going to try and shoot to full lenght, and with the new shocks, what do I do. move the axle up and bolt it in while the shock is compressed, or extend it out and bolt it?

Also, just random question. But I'v been told that I can't reuse the factory bolts which sounds like crap to me. If I take out the bolts, put in a direct replacement, why can't I use the same bolts?

Fuck that, if they're not corroded to hell, put them back. The only bolts I would replace even if the old ones look good are head bolts, the rest are reusable. And the reason they say to replace them is that bolts stretch, and after stretching the factory torque specs don't apply anymore. On top of that, there are corrosion issues, and in some instances hardening issues due to heat cycles. As for suspension, if they're not fucked, then they're good.

What are you replacing shocks or struts? If you're replacing shocks, then there's no danger of anything, they move so slowly that if it did expand and hit you in the head, you wouldn't even feel it. It would be more of a gentle push. If replacing struts, then you have to worry about the mounts. When you unscrew the mounts from the top of the strut, you have to have pressure on the spring so that it's compressed. If you don't, and the mount hits you in the head as it flys off at vicious speeds, it will in the very least tear your jaw off with it.

Ren,

I'm replacing the shocks in my jeep which only have about 20k on them. I'm replacing them because I need shocks with more travel for the lift. They are bilstein 5150's if that helps.

Everything looks good, no corrison or anything. I was just wondering how I get the shocks on and off. I have a spring compressor (outside gripping design) I was told to unbolt the sway bar, then drop the axle somehow with the jack slowely. Afterwards the shock is fully extended, so I figured just 1 bolt at the top, 1 at the bottom and its out.

But getting the new shock back is the issue. They came semi compressed and I didn't want to risk damaging them by letting them fly free, or risk them being 2 long to bolt in and myself not being able to push them back in without special tools.

You can let them fully extend without any problems or risk of damage. And squeezing them back into place can be done by hand. Shocks are only dampeners, they don't carry the weight of the car, the springs do. The rest of the instructions you got were probably accurate.