so lets say u have about 1000 dollars at hand. and u have the following problems to your millenia: need new struts (and possibly new strut mounts as they now squeak when compressed completely.) new springs (duh). transmission seeings its years. brakes and odd noise coming from the back when brake is supressed. cracked front bumper cover and missing undercover and right wheel well. now, one of my options is to go ahead and replace the struts with OEM front struts and the AG-2 KYB in the back with lowering springs and then take the rest of the money and get a bumper (same color :)) and the undercovers. or...i could get a brake upgrade but not have enough for the bumpers. or i could buy a used transmission from JEI in paterson, nj and install it. what do u think is the best way to handle this? (btw...if u do know wats the source of that "dug dug dug dug" sound when i press the brakes sometime coming from the back, please tell me wat the heck is going on as its the most annoying sound ive heard.

keep in mind that the struts will be replaced no matter wat. but its wat to do with the rest of the money :unsure:

p.s. a lowered milly on stock 16's...yay or nay? (it prolly wont be that low, but i dont know how itll look...)

IPB Image

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SHIT!!! i forgot about the cv axle and the water pump. so struts, bumper, cv axle and water pump.

Umm, out of curiousity, did you become a mechanic? Because as I see it:

• water pump, timing belt, and any necessary tensioners/idlers - $200
  • two rear kyb's - $200
  • two front stock struts - $300
  • four strut mounts - $120
  • cv axle - $100
  • bumper repair - $100
That's a total of $1020 and a fairly conservative $1020, so are you doing all the work, because if not, then there's a few things on that list you're going to need to trim.

Finally, do the brakes first...that should be common sense. There's no point fixing a bumper if you end up hitting a wall or car because your brakes are shot. Get your mind out of the ghetto, useful first, pretty second.

my mind was outta the ghetto ren. reason why this thread is here. i replaced my brakes three months ago. how can they be shot already?! anyway...ya im doing all the work myself. my friend has all the necessary tools. and actually im just geting a water pump. the belts have been replaced when the tensioner gave out. and if i do run in any complications. my other friend's dad owns a mechanic shop. (don ran by him b4 to get a quote on the body work on his hood.) and he'll do it for free as long as i got the parts.

thanks for the suggestions. wat ill do is use the money to repair the struts, cv joints, and the water pump. then, with the rest of the money (if there is any at all) get the tranny flushed, motor flushed and install that tranny cooler yall talking about. cuz of all trannies, mine needs as much life as it can get.