At The Kart Track Tonight

I'd much rather non-interference and belt than interference and chain.

What's your theory behind this? I thought noninterference meant valves and pistons will not chrash if timing gear breaks down, being belts, chain or gears. As opposed to interference, when they do chrash. I can't see how the way the cams are rotated will mean anything, basically it is a matter of valvelift, duration and clearance with pistons on tdc. Italian cars are known to bust big time, usually with belts. All Volkswagen diesel shit. BMW 4pots, Subaru boxers, various Fords obviously, it's a long list. I'd never remotely consider buying a car with an interference engine. Sit there being afraid while revving and stuff? No way.

I agree with MTS, chains are better if changed on due time which usually is very rare. BUT, if neglected, they tend to bust the whole engine if they break. Ask owners of older (pre 88) Mercs with singleroller camchains... Noisy chains? Ever listened to a Jaguar V12 have you? Belts whines, is that to be preferred?

Xedos, I think you misread what I said. I would rather a non-interference and belt, than an interferece and chain.

Possibly, though you also wrote this;

The maxima is 300lbs lighter (curb), and has 20 less hp. Furthermore, it has a timing chain, which means it's interference (generally speaking not positive), which means no valve reliefs in the pistons.

I think the MCE was wonderful idea for the time it came out. But Mazda stop growing. They had the affordable luxory market down with the 929 and milly. But they just stopped there way back in 95. No real changes. I like the 01-02 bodies (relative to same year competition) but both engines suck. If mazda had stayed on their game, i see no reason they couldnt be where lexus or infinit is. They could just rebadge a milly with a name other than mazda (jus cuzz mazda sounds plain) and add 25% to the cost....

I don't think the name matters, all it takes is building proper cars for a period of time. One example: Audi. They built piece of shit cars untill early nineties. Now they have a very strong pedigree. The fact that I still regard them as shitty cars isn't that interesting, the majority of buyers find them attractive as a premium brand. Not to mention Skoda; here in Europe they were in Lada territory, look at Skoda now. Up there competing with any brand in the market, part from the premium brands of course.

The MCE was the same game that is still being played today... the new car has a fancy feature to brag to the neighbours about, then becomes expensive to repair when older. At least it is a very unique car to drive in contrast to the same-old quad cam V6s on equivalent new cars. As if a twin-charge Golf is going to be any different, or a hybrid-electric Insight, or...

Bottom line, if you want a simpler car, buy one.

I don't think the name matters, all it takes is building proper cars for a period of time. One example: Audi. They built piece of shit cars untill early nineties. Now they have a very strong pedigree. The fact that I still regard them as shitty cars isn't that interesting, the majority of buyers find them attractive as a premium brand. Not to mention Skoda; here in Europe they were in Lada territory, look at Skoda now. Up there competing with any brand in the market, part from the premium brands of course.

good point years ago, i thought volvos were made for 60yr old granny. Now i would give a kidney for a new S40... I guess if the cars had evolved the name would have followed...