Mazda/amati Information

mts

• 2 weeks later...

Mazda Millenia

By: Kimberly Meyer, Sun Jan 29th, 2006 03:13:32 PM

This midsize luxury car for Mazda was originally planned to be introduced and to be marketed under Amati as the Pegasus and would be from Amati, which is the luxury brand of the Mazda automobile manufacturer. The Mazda Millenia was first introduced in 1995 as an entry-level luxury car under the Mazda brand. And just during that same year, the Toyota Avalon also made its public debut, and this vehicle later on became the Mazda Millenia's competitor. This vehicle replaced the Mazda 929 for North America. The entire production of this vehicle was then halted in 2003 due to a quite unsuccessful experience in sales. This vehicle was later on replaced by the Mazda 6.

The Mazda Millenia could be quite considered as Mazda's flagship, that is if Mazda were to sell a premium brand, which it did not do. This vehicle offers value among its luxury sedans counterparts. This vehicle has a supercharged V6 engine offering a maximum of 210 horsepower. It is considered to be one of the most interesting vehicles in the near-luxury class. It offers a crisp handling that entails a comfortable and luxurious long drive. Also, road trips would not be an uncomfortable one with the Mazda Millenia since this vehicle also provides great and easy comfort for its passengers. For a fact, the Mazda Millenia has been designed and crafted to be a premium-brand product that would be able to compete with well-known luxury vehicles like the Infiniti I35, the Acura TL, and the Lexus ES 300. This Mazda Millenia has been crafted and designed with two trim levels available which comprises of the Millenia Premium, and the Millenia S.

The last year that the Mazda Millenia underwent redesigning and restyling, the vehicle experienced a complete replacement of every panel forward of the windshield, along with its rear end and tail lights. It has been given a sharper, clear, and more defined look. It also came with 17 inch wheels and tires, along with a small front spoiler that has become the Mazda Millenia's identity.

IPB Image

can anyone translate??

Mazda's 3981cc 12-cylinder engine in W configuration; having 3 banks of 4 cylinder (much like VW's W12). This engine was shown at the 1989 Tokyo motor and was intended for Mazda's Amati luxury brand that never materilized.

The engine was limited to 280hp and 274lb-ft of torque because of the Japan's gentleman's agreement, but keeping in tradition of Mazda's unique engine design history (rotary, miller cycle, etc) they decided to go with the W-configuration for their 12 cylinder.

research is cominng along... :shifty:

The Amati range, at launch, would have consisted of two cars in North America: "the Amati 500 (sold in the States as the Millenia), and the Amati 1000." The 1000 would have been known as the Eunos 1000 in Japan and Xedos 12 in the planned - but quickly cancelled - European version. Author writes: "it was based on a 929 floor-pan and cowl, but everything else on the car - notably all exterior panes and glazing - was unique to the 1000. Mazda had a number of running 1000 prototypes and a small fleet of stretched (ahead of the cowl and through the B-pillar) 929s with complete 1000 drivelines in place."

"The heart of the 1000 was a 4.0 litre V-12, coupled to a 4-speed manual with a compounder on the output shaft to provide a fifth gear. Suspension was all derived from the 929, but with forged aluminium control arms (à la FD series RX-7) in place of the pressed steel ones under the 929, and four-wheel steering was included. The bent 12 was a damn good engine, with a fantastic exhaust note when the windows were down (it sounded like there was a Ferrari a couple of car lengths back) which went silent when the car was buttoned up."

Apparently, the Cosmo was never considered for the Amati channel. Citing the 20B's incompatibility with the Gas Guzzler Tax, and Mazda's decision "at the highest level that no rotary that exceeded the numbers at which the GGT kicked-in would be exported to North America. What evolved into the 2-seat GT program started as a V-12-powered version of the Cosmo. After management of the U.S. importer and the Amati sales team saw the proposed Cosmo, they requested something more visually interesting and this was the catalyst for the RX-7-based V-12 coupe studies."

Just feeding the information, I find... :shifty:

929's with complete drivelines makes sense as many prototype cars do, but I have to imagine that something like this was either totally destroyed and to never be spoken of again, or hangs around as a reminder, possibly even in there tech centers.

Strange noone has ever seen an amati 1000 if its true that several prototypes were up and running. I would gladly sell my M and forfit the possible vanquish and pay up to 135k for a fully operational amati 1000, hell even just the power plant alone....possible transplant into a donor millenia...

More info picked up in the search..... seems Canada was online for Amati...

July 27, 1993 - Strategy Magazine

Mazda pegs shortlist

by Patti Summerfield

page 10

Mazda Canada is another step closer to launching its Amati line of luxury cars.

And the ad agency review, which began three months ago, to find a shop to handle the new product, has now narrowed the competition from 18 shops to four in Toronto.

The four are: Franklin Dallas; bwck; Robert Kyle, and FCB/Ronalds-Reynolds, agency-of-record for Mazda Canada.

Derek Miles, general manager of the Amati division and group vice-president of Mazda Canada, says final presentations will be made in October, with a decision expected in November.

A challenge

Miles says it is a challenge to conduct an agency search for a product not on the market yet - the Amati line will be launched in North America in March 1994 - and tough for the shops, as well.

He says the agencies involved have not seen a prototype, or even a picture.

fcb/r-r has had the Mazda Canada business for seven years.

Brad Arthur, agency vice-president and head of the Mazda account group, says Amati team members have 45 to 50 years of combined car experience.

Arthur says that because the participants have been given no information about the new product, he feels the winning shop will be the one which can read the target group the best.

Work closely

The Canadian agency for Amati will work closely with the one hired to handle the u.s. business.

Lord Dentsu was awarded the assignment two months ago and is setting up a new office to handle it.

It is a partnership between Japan-based Dentsu and Young & Rubicam.

The Amati line is the fourth Japanese entry in the luxury car market after Lexus (SMW Advertising) from Toyota Canada, Infiniti (Chiat/Day/Mojo) from Nissan Canada, and Acura (Ambrose Carr Linton Kelly) from Honda Canada. PS

That is a sweet picture :( sadly never happened.... though the Millenia is still such a head turner. I get approached at least once a week with comments on the beauty that resides as the Millenia.

everytime I drive it I have people comment, or just ask what it is. and switching back and forth between cars you really notice, I'll drive around in my jeep, no one really notices, drive around in the M and a few younger people might glance, but when the silent nightstalker known as teh millenia is out, everyones eyes follow it when I make a turn, people stare longer at lights instead of a glance, it certain commands a presence all its own

I drove the millenia yesterdayt, oh how I have missed it, the M might be faster but the millenia has a different feel all together, plus gonig from 2 cars with lots of low end power and not that much higher rpm power to the total oppisite provides for wonderful passing while the exhaust screams "I'm better then you, go away"

Some of the best known luxury cars come sans badges... SO now mine is badgeless.... I do not care if the moron behing be cannot figure out what it is... he is still behind me.

I dunno, I'm split on the badging in factory cars. some cars it looks good with just a simple badge on 1 side, then on some its horrible to not have both. take my M for example. if I had gotton a 3 seris I would have stripped that shit off and made it nice and clean, but the ///M3 badge is a mark of pride, can't get rid of it, on the other hand if there a "BMW" badged spelled out, that would be retarded