Braking Problem

I have a 95 S with 82,000 miles on it. Recently when i brake, especially during harder breaking, i can hear and feel a clicking noise in the break with a little shudder in the steering wheel. The sound slows down as the car comes to a stop. It seems smooth when first driving, but after a few stops it starts up and gets worse as I drive.

So far I re-torqued the lug nuts, then rotated and checked the tread on the tires, neither solved the problem.

I pulled the ABS fuse to see if the ABS was causing it, and it continued.

I also tried checking the ball joints, tie rod ends, and lateral links and didn't seem to find a problem there either.

Also, when stopping with the Emergency Brake, I come to a stop smoothly.

What else can I check before I pay someone to look at it?

Ok, I ordered new rotors and pads.

I wasn't thinking rotors because they were supposedly replaced when I bought the car in October, but I don't think they actually were.

They should come in a few days and I'll see if everything is back to being smooth

This usually happens when you brake really hard and having warped rotors usually is caused from a bunch of friction and heat. My Honda used to do this a lot and when I slowed down, the vibration would slow and finally cease once stopped and then going off again it wouldn't do it again until time to brake. Be nice to your brakes.

Usually happens when people drive through puddles that are too damn deep, with hot brakes. OR taking their car to a carwash and the idiots at the wash spray cold water to clean the wheels.

Since there will be huge gap between pads and rotors right after installation you have to pump the brakes (preferably engine off) to zero the gap before driving. Otherwise they wont hold at the first stop sign... If you know how to install you should know this as well..

After I get everything and install it, do I have to anything special to break them in? I read somewhere that I would have to do a series of stops or something.

The pads should also be broken in; avoid breaking hard if not necessary during the first trips.

As for warpage, I know how to use and treat my breaks. They still warped up front after 130000 km. Obviously I have breaked hard enough to make water boil on the discs, who hasn't? They should cope with that or its shit. I agree on the too hasty cooling as in waterhose though, not good obviously.

Very true.... they are cracking down on speeders here in Toronto... recent rash of racing on the highways has caused multiple deaths... races have all been over 200km/h

AND NO, IT WASN'T ME