Very Odd

mts

What I mean by smallengined is compared to weight. Therefore a newish Golf 1,6 is what I'd say smallengined compared to say a 2,0 turbo, while a little Daihatsu with a 1,6 will be a flyer. I used to valvefloat my 75 Corolla 1,2 in top gear, and weighing in at 770 kg it was fairly quick up to 148 km/h where valvefloat occured, abit over 6000 rpm :)

I have a pic of it somewhere...

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahh, different engine size in same or similar car - fair enough.

I keep thinking that everyone here is from the U.S. and that I have to think about big engines as being at least 6L in capacity :) (454ci ?)

One of my first driving lessons was in my friends mum's 1969 Corolla, probably with that same 1200cc engine :)

It was also the first car I ever broke traction in, and it was in reverse! (I couldn't get the hang of that clutch, too much bunny hopping from me)

G

first of all, not true at all.

jsut because its the same thing doesn't at all mean it weighs the same.

there are for example rims, and forged rims, bbs rims are forged from a single billet of high grade laum, making them MUCH MUCH MUCH stronger and lighter, cast they jsut melt old *Reference banned from MW* cans into a mold.

different grades, different weights, the design also has a big impact, the more metal they use, the heavier it is.

Heavier wheels and tires are whats known as "unsprung" weight, you can't control it through the suspension or otherwise, and it is generally expected that it takes 4x as much force to start or stop unsprung weight then standard.

So when you go to ghetto ass 20's that are cast cast steel with heavy ass cheap chrome that weight 30 lbs, you've added 13lbs per wheel x 4 wheels, times 4 208 extra lbs of weight the brakes have to stop, and whats worse, instead of just having a passenger and 208 going to the 4 rotors, its 50lbs extra being put on each one

research it, especially from an F1 standpoint, it makes a HUGE different.

Infact the stopping distance decrease between stock rims and 22" chromes is greater then the distance gained by a big brake kit

blah blah blah, if these wheels were so unsafe, you wouldnt be allowed to get your car inspected with them. Im sure ppl alot smarter than you have researched this. Just like they do tires and everything else you put on a car. There hasnt been a rash of brakes failing due to chrome wheels on the news. Just say you ahte ppl modding their cars, u like to be plain. Dont pull some bullshit out your ass to justify. So what if you loose some feet while braking, learn to drive and you can compensate for that. Not all cars are supreme performers anyway. The milly for one....

He's right though. Yes heavy wheels will increase braking distance, but for the average person, it's a non issue since they never push their car hard enough to know the original braking distance. Not to mention, if the car begins with above average brakes, increasing the distance by a few feet won't make that much of a difference. To add to that, how many people (here included) have been to a track, where brakes are more important than spark plugs?

ah, except the people who buy these rims are 9 times out of 10 very inexperianced drivers, and I don't want to hear your shit ren, think about it, someone who wants all this crpa doesn't care, they want some loud system with more bass then music and more ghetto "bling" then anything. if you took a survey I bet all of them failed there BASIC driving test morethen once, and couldn't even handle themselfs on a control course let alone in a real emergancy. Its not some oddity of nature that anyone who takes defensive driving classes or drives professional, and /or racing stays clear away from rims and things like this.

I'm far more concerned with the ghetto rat not paying attention to the road with decreased stopping distance then I'am with the guy who's bumper is held on with bumjee cords

He's right though. Yes heavy wheels will increase braking distance, but for the average person, it's a non issue since they never push their car hard enough to know the original braking distance. Not to mention, if the car begins with above average brakes, increasing the distance by a few feet won't make that much of a difference. To add to that, how many people (here included) have been to a track, where brakes are more important than spark plugs?

my point exactly, bhr doesnt push his milly to use his brakes either. He's just talking shit. And nobody that has spent his money on rims are going to be racing around hittin pot holes to fukk them up. How many rim'd cars have you seen wrapped around phone poles or guard rails. Now how many of your performer cars / ricers do you see fukkin up traffic cause 2 of'em decided to race and crash into each other. happens all the time here...

ah, except the people who buy these rims are 9 times out of 10 very inexperianced drivers

I'm far more concerned with the ghetto rat not paying attention to the road with decreased stopping distance then I'am with the guy who's bumper is held on with bumjee cords

When was this survey done ? Im more concerned about the illiterate rich kid who cant read or spell "stop". But has enough money to buy a new car everytime he totals one... :whistling:

Kat.

I have explained this time and time again, if your to lazy to go back read, but want to spend the time mocking common sense in the face, then go ahead, but to honestly think I don't push my millenia is just plain retarded. I don't sit there leaning back like I'm crusing through a cotton field trying to pick up ghetto hookers.

The very fact that my Millenia is not a daily driver means it sees more action, when I do take it out its get a full workout, and my brakes are pushed to and beyond there limit, why do you think I've been trying to find a big brake setup. If you think I sit there driving like grandma your dead wrong

And as to the last part, you explain to me right now what car I have ever totalled. I'm not the ghetto rat cruising around on 20's because I think i'm 50 cent. I have never crashed a single car in my car, infact other then someone rear ended the Jeep at a stoplight, I have never been in any accident with me in the drivers seat. And you know whats more, yes, I can afford to buy a new car if I ever got into an accident, and you know why I can, because I keep up on my insurance payments, instead of saving up for ghetto shit rims and dodging bill collectors for 6 months.

The fact that it is a milly says you dont push the brakes. Its not a 10sec car and 0-60 times suck. You would have to be on open straight highway to ever get to a speed to need to lock-up the brakes. But then you would have plenty distance to see and no side roads to watch for. The milly is one of the slowest supposedly luxury cars out, face it...

You keep referring to cotton fields and the ghetto. What do the two have in common ? If you are an in the closet racist atleast have the balls to say it and quit inventing dumb shit. If you really go to the ghetto you wont see any chrome rims, those ppl are struggling just to keep the lights on. In fact where im from its mostly rich white kids, that can even afford rims...

I never said you totaled a car, did i ? If you would learn to read and comprehend, i said thats who i would be worried about...

what is valve floating

When the valvespring cannot close the valve before the camlobe hits it next time, its called valvefloating. Our K engines will not valvefloat even if taken to 5 digit rpm, at least not the Miller with solid lifters. However a pushrod engine with cast iron (heavy) pushrods and too soft valvesprings will, like my old Corolla. The sound makes you stop wondering whether to change cogs or not, believe me. Or slow down once in top gear :lol:

Burns your valves it does, and the pushrods can be bent like bananas too...

Take the milly to 6K and you will find out... LOL

Want a bet?

Mine sees 7000+rpm and sounds sweet as all the way there.

I don't know about the limits of the brakes, but handling is far better than my last car - a 4,000lb short wheel base 4x4 with a 3200rpm red line.

G.

Ahh, yes. Mine is a 2.5 KL, possibly a ZE, I'll post some pics in another thread for ID help.

I read that all the Mazda V6 K series (including the 2.3 MCE) rev nicely, is this not right for the MCE? Or just the extreme high RPM is a bit harsh?

I'm quite impressed with the 2.5 so far, only had it for 6 weeks though, hopefully I'm not being too rough with her :)

I'm not at all a closest racist.

And again, thats a really horrible come back, a ferrari enzo isn't even a true 10 sec car.

I could go out in a geo metro and destroy the brakes. The type of car means nothing when pushing the limits, the only difference is what those limits are, and if you'll pull your head out of the chicken bucket for a minute, you'll see that for its entire run the millenia always received top honors when it came to brakes, including outbraking a 540 up until 00 or 01 whenever they redid it. In addition, my brakes are already upgraded and stop even better, why, because I knwo what works, and rather then rant about brake dust clouding my "bling" I take function over form, and form over just plain bad taste, or lack of consistancy

Ahh, yes. Mine is a 2.5 KL, possibly a ZE, I'll post some pics in another thread for ID help.

I read that all the Mazda V6 K series (including the 2.3 MCE) rev nicely, is this not right for the MCE? Or just the extreme high RPM is a bit harsh?

I'm quite impressed with the 2.5 so far, only had it for 6 weeks though, hopefully I'm not being too rough with her :)

MCE has a redline of 6000rpm and a shift point at 5500 rpm. Anything over 6200rpm will cutout/float the valves... lose huge power and make an awful noise, but thereby protecting the engine.

[attachmentid=764]

img_0185.jpg

I'm not at all a closest racist.

And again, thats a really horrible come back, a ferrari enzo isn't even a true 10 sec car.

I could go out in a geo metro and destroy the brakes. The type of car means nothing when pushing the limits, the only difference is what those limits are, and if you'll pull your head out of the chicken bucket for a minute, you'll see that for its entire run the millenia always received top honors when it came to brakes, including outbraking a 540 up until 00 or 01 whenever they redid it. In addition, my brakes are already upgraded and stop even better, why, because I knwo what works, and rather then rant about brake dust clouding my "bling" I take function over form, and form over just plain bad taste, or lack of consistancy

Once again u have proved that you are indeed stupid. When did i say the milly had poor brakes. I said it was slow didnt i ? Read, comprehend, then reply.... For you not to be racist alot of your comments ride that line, but once again no balls to back it up...

The fact that it is a milly says you dont push the brakes. Its not a 10sec car and 0-60 times suck. You would have to be on open straight highway to ever get to a speed to need to lock-up the brakes. But then you would have plenty distance to see and no side roads to watch for. The milly is one of the slowest supposedly luxury cars out, face it...

I guess you couldn't pull your head out of the chicken bucket, because right there.

Also, if your brakes are locking up, then there not working right and you went with ghetto "I got a guy service" its called ANTI-lock brakes, and you do not need to lock your brakes up to push them, fuck I can pull the fuse, go 15mph and then lock the brakes.

You fully support the survey I would like to see done, you have very little real world driving experiance, a warped view of how the world really functions compared to on paper, and are simply trying to defend your own ghetto rat wheels.

Read the fukkin post again stupid thats in reference to the millys acceleration and speed needed to use these performance brakes you speak of. Nowhere in that post says or insinuates that the milly has poor brakes. You fukking retard. Since we are throwing personal shots now. Instead of wasting your money on brake kits why dont you try a boob job you fat fuck...

ahh fukk it why bother...

You need to read your own damn post again.

it has ZERO to do with what kind of car it is, clearly you have no idea how brakes work, so I'll explain. The harder and faster you push the left pedal down, the harder the brakes works, the more often you do this the harder they are worked, if you upgrade brakes and push them beyond the old stock brakes you are again hitting the limits.

You give me a golf cart and i'll go burn the brakes faster then an F1 driver.

MCE has a redline of 6000rpm and a shift point at 5500 rpm. Anything over 6200rpm will cutout/float the valves... lose huge power and make an awful noise, but thereby protecting the engine.

[attachmentid=764]

I think you are wrong there sir. The valvegear is designed to run continiously on around 9000 rpm without problems, at least on the 2,5. And that is the one with HLA lifters. I should guess the redline is reduced to avoid SC problems.

Graham, be happy to rev your engine once it is warm and all fluid levels are ok. My concern is not the engine, but the tranny isn't keen on 6500 plus upshifts, specially from first to second. From second it is way better, but given the fact my Xedos will do 140 km/h (87mph) indicated in second before majorly past 7k, it is better avoided with our speed limits :rolleyes:

All the fun is in Hold mode :shifty:

Oh, and never mind recommended top speed in each gear in the manual, that is for grannies ;)

All the fun is in Hold mode :shifty:

Oh, and never mind recommended top speed in each gear in the manual, that is for grannies ;)

Well firstly, I'm pretty sure I skipped that paragraph of the manual.

I'm yet to be 100% comfortable with the shift lock button - I'm used to my wifes car where it's an O/D off button. The behaviour in the milly is very different.

As long as it's a standing start I'm fine, and I've found that if you reduce throttle to around 25-50% when shifting to second it's a lot smoother than if you maintain full or near full throttle.

Our roads suck. Most of my driving is an 80kph (50mph) zone but there's lights everywhere. Every time I'm at the front of the traffic at lights, I try to escape them and make it through the next set before they can change. It seems that our lights are timed to stop everyone as often as possible :(

That's a very weird photo of the steering & dash - everything is on the wrong side, even the fog lights + cruise control!