Another Idea

Jdubs99

I've been thinking about the 4k intercooler opening. I'm not sure the ECU would take kindly to it, but it's a possible idea. I'm guessing there is a wire that controls the CAC solenoid that opens the ports to the intercoolers. I was wondering if you installed a switch and relay between the two and extended the wires out that limited engagements on the street might be improved. You could leave the switch off at launch. After you hit the top of first, engage the switch. If I'm right, there should already be a cool air charge (less than compressed) already in both intercooler "chambers". This air charge should overcome the drop in pressure, and at speed the cooled air charge should continue to add power. From my understanding, the 4k CAC bypass is there to promote better drivability in normal situations. Most drivers only enter high RPMs in passing situations. With the switch, and at speed, the cooler air charge will continue to add power even if RPMs drop below 4k, like when you enter the next gear. An intercooler water sprayer system tied into this switch would further improve the effieciency.

The only problem I see is the ECU regulating used air charge pressure. Any thoughts?

what about CO2 and water sprayers?

Part of my plan. The engine is always going to run hot. Water has a capacity for absorbing massive amounts of heat before being converted into vapor. With a good amount of condesation, in conjuction with cool air helping the water to absorb even more heat from the intake charge, it's a win-win. You've already launched and hooked up thanks to the OEM engine management (TCS and lower boost), and get the full advantage of the 2.3 high RPM capabilities via the supercooled air charge. The only setback is reaction of the ECM logic in regard to possible CAC failure at lower RPM.

My idea wasn't to kick the supercharger to 2 bar immediately, just open up the intercooler earlier and take advantage of the power of the cooler air charge at lower RPM. Adding +12vdc or removing ground to the CAC trigger wire shouldn't signal the ECM to kick up to 14 automatically. The CAC wire should be an output from the ECM, the trigger for kicking it up to 2 bar should be an input from an engine speed sensor, probably the crank. I'm not a 2.3 expert, but unless there is a sensor monitoring pressure, this should work with no CEL.

Someone modifying the engine to always run at 2 bar is different. On a FWD supercharged vehicle, not something I'd want anyway.

Jdub i think you can do it without any problem. You will get a P1524 IIRC which doesnt cause a CEL. You know which solenoid to work on right? either put a switch or just short it properly so it is always on (except engine off). If you can put a switch, which is not rocket science, you can really see the difference. MTS was talking about same mod before, prolly one of his "future projects" now :)

I will post some videos soon maybe tonight. It was raining and i can feel the torque kicking off at around 4k rpm. Rain means water cooled ICs at 80-100mph..

Yea, that's what I'm talking about. THe sprayer system is an added bonus if installed.

As long as my circuit logic is correct in regard to input and output, the only thing to worry about is ECM reaction. The dynamic cover that lat spoke of is the engine cover as i would call it. I will have time to do this research to try this mod mid december.

If I am correct, the 4k rpm kick in the ass we all experience in the S can be brought on earlier.

Extending my thinking, it might be possible to make this response automatic through the use of a potentiometer or resistor system. This would more closely bring the powerband to the desired level as opposed to the "passing power" that Mazda engineers were thinking of.

This would more closely bring the powerband to the desired level as opposed to the "passing power" that Mazda engineers were thinking of.

No they should have calculated the pressure vs temp drop (average) and decide on 4k as a limit that is advantageous with intake air circulating through ICs. Another thing is emissions of course..

This would more closely bring the powerband to the desired level as opposed to the "passing power" that Mazda engineers were thinking of.

No they should have calculated the pressure vs temp drop (average) and decide on 4k as a limit that is advantageous with intake air circulating through ICs. Another thing is emissions of course..

See the other post regarding this.