Weird Sound In My Engine/tranny

• 2 years later...

Update: The weird sound is diagnozed, finally :rolleyes:

I've just kept driving as I said. During this winter the sound got worse and continous. Last night I refitted the factory suspension for state inspection, and looked her over. I found a busted axle boot, inner passenger. Not relevant for the sound, but my first axle issue @ 220k km.

Now to the weird sound issue; it turned out to be an exhaust leak between the front header and the downpipe. Dealer fuckup; they dropped the exhaust to fit the block heater. I bet they didn't fit new gaskets. So I ordered new gaskets today.

Never trust dealers... I'm pleased the weird issue turned to be an easy fix though.

My state inspection is due tomorrow, and I guess I will get a "2" on the exhaust leak, which means it has to be fixed (by me in this case) and then confirmed as ok by the shop performing the test. As opposed to "3" which means driving is prohibited untill it is fixed. The emission test itself is probably not affected. State inspections here can be performed either by the authorities or by dealers or shops with permission to perform inspections. I prefer using a local shop.

• 2 weeks later...

Update: I got 4 issues, of which two of them need to be confirmed by the shop after repair. I need to replace the front left lateral link, as expected. And adjust the e-brake lever due to too many clicks :D

Piece of cake in other words. I got two "1" issues, which means they shoud be fixed but no reinspection; the exhaust leak and the bad CV boot. Not too bad on a 12 year old car, inspected in "as is" condition.

Now I'll just await the overseas part supply :shifty: