Vibration

enginph

I have slight vibration around 60mph and a lot more starting at 85mph. It wasnt as bad as before with the bent rim but i still have it. One possibility is my dear mech couldnt do the balance of one tire after rim repair (he has an old device for balancing). I am more inclined to this one since when it was in the rear i have no vibration at 60 mph. Another thing is one lugnut at the back being larger. And both of them may contribute. i dont wanna take the hassle of rebalancing them since it took 3 or 4 visits to ntb to properly do the balancing last time. And i dont know any good place around, i just moved here. Can i do anything myself? Suggestions pls..

On my Xedos it is easier to detect an unbalanced wheel when it sits on the rear axle. It makes the car shake rather than the steeringwheel.

Anyway, do as Ren says, try to swap the wheel you suspect with one of the rear wheels and check if you move the problem. Doing one side at the time is a secure method to detect which wheel. I usually have to rebalance a couple of the wheels during their lifetime. I hate the shakes and I believe it is not good for the car either. Either way the tires will eventually wear uneven, and become unround. Vicious circle.

At first i had 60mph and 80+mph shakes. I had one bent rim fixed, and put it to rear left. No shake at 60 then (couldnt test 80+, ohio was a slow state). However i am almost sure the mech couldnt do the balancing to my standards, or to any of yours actually. So unbalanced wheel at rear left is unnoticeable. Then i rotate the tires (left goes to left, directional tires) and now i have both shakes back.. I guess 60 comes from unbalanced tire in the front left now, and 80 may come from the big lug at rear right. Holding the steering wheel tight i feel that 60mph shake comes from front, 80 from rear. But Ren said it shouldnt be noticeable so i dont know. First i will change the lug nut, i should have some factory spares in the trunk..

Another thing is i had a torn cv boot and i still have the axle grease all over the rim inside, might cause the shake as well..

Vibration is not good for suspension for sure. But more importantly it decreases the traction, which increases the risk in a panic situation.

The lug is too close to the centre, and not heavy enough to make a difference. Think of the lock-lugs that people put on, how many times have you heard of someone saying they got a vibration from them? The grease from the cv shouldn't do that either, it's too light, and probably pretty well distributed around the perimeter of your rim.

Yeah I wrote here before with the ice. It wasnt vibration tough, more like jumping.

That lug nut is pretty large, maybe twice of a regular one so I bought new lug nuts today. The problem now is it is flattened. It was either 19mm or sae, not 20mm like others. So if they used the same air tool as the others, they flated it! I couldnt pull it out.. Any ideas?

I couldnt clean that cv crap from the rim!..

I had the same vibration problem with my milly. was due to the cv joint going out. It too only did it at speed while accelerating. I figured it out by letting off the gas while going 70+. the vibration stopped or lessened and then when I hit the excellerator, it returned.

THe vibration left after I replaced my axles.

there was no clicking on turns either from the cv jiont. only the vibration.

I had the same vibration problem with my milly. was due to the cv joint going out. It too only did it at speed while accelerating. I figured it out by letting off the gas while going 70+. the vibration stopped or lessened and then when I hit the excellerator, it returned.

THe vibration left after I replaced my axles.

there was no clicking on turns either from the cv jiont. only the vibration.

Holy crap the same here. However it does it at that speed accelerating or not. Replaced the axle no change, axle is good, i used to have play in the wheel that caused clunking. I was wondering if it is weight dependent or not since i have it more when i am alone in the car..

If something is not tight or if your struts/shocks are worn, weight would make a difference.

A friend of mine long ago (300 lbs, 6'6" tall) drove a little Geo Metro alone usually. Every six months the driver side tires would wear out and the shocks as well. He simply replaced then every six months. He always knew it was time because it would start making noise. Still do not know how he got into and out of that little car.... :huh:

Center punch the lug, and then drill it out with a 4mm drill, then step up to an 8mm and you will likely end up with the head of the lug stuck on the drill bit when it gets to the bolt shaft. Take the wheel off, then grab the left over stud with a small pipe wrench or vice grips and twist it out... likely stuck with corrosion between the aluminum rim and the steel lug.

• 3 weeks later...

providing tire pressure and wear are even, and alinement is good, something in the brakes.

perhaps one has more air in it then the other and they need to be flushed, maybe a slide pin needs a bit of grease.

I would grease the slide pins and flush the brakes, if that doesn't fix it, the nI dunno, eat pancakes?