Finally Confirmed

For the longest time I have had a very intermittent misfire. Originally it came about and I didn't see it for six months or so, and then it began to happen once every one to two months. Finally I got it to throw a code (P0304). I switched the coil to cylinder 2 and have been waiting for the light to come back for P0302. But the misfire only showed up very rarely and lasted for a couple of minutes until the engine was warm so it never gave me a code. Finally, today I got a CEL that confirmed a bad coil.

But while waiting for the Cylinder 2 misfire to show up, I read that the owner of another 95 had an engine that would not start after swapping in a 3-pin coil in place of the 4-pin. I have heard from other places that they are all compatible. Has anyone put a 3-pin coil in a 95 and had no problems? or can anyone confirm that I will need a 4-pin?

• 4 weeks later...
infact, you should attend MWM08 with it

Sorry, I won't be able to go to MWM08, but a later year is a possibility.

I also wanted to update, I won the 4-pin coil off eBay for $19 shipped and it is installed. So far, I haven't had any problems with it. If I get a chance to get a cheap 3-pin coil at some point I will test it in place of a 4-pin to confirm whether or not it is compatible with the 1995.

I also wanted to update, I won the 4-pin coil off eBay for $19 shipped and it is installed. So far, I haven't had any problems with it. If I get a chance to get a cheap 3-pin coil at some point I will test it in place of a 4-pin to confirm whether or not it is compatible with the 1995.

3 pin will not work on 95-96. After my first coil failed i bought 3 spare ones just in case. I asked the guy to send the front bank coils which are less abused.mI recommend you do the same.

3 pin will not work on 95-96. After my first coil failed i bought 3 spare ones just in case. I asked the guy to send the front bank coils which are less abused.mI recommend you do the same.

That is a good idea, I am surprised that I had a front bank coil go before a rear one. The rear coils see a lot more heat.

I fully cleaned the old coil to keep as a spare since it works 98% of the time. I also tried to measure the resistances. I was able to get a value for each set of pins, but the meter I used was digital and the resistances were strange, so I will need to find my analog meter to retake them.

From the wiring diagrams it looks like:

Pin 1 is the charge wire

Pin 2 is only in 95

Pin 3 is the trigger signal from the ECU

Pin 4 is a ground

Coil Diagrams

The 1996 and 1997 diagrams don't include a second pin so I am not sure what it does on the 95.