Oil Leak... Common?!

Task514

I have a oil leak from the right side of the engine... It start as high close to the timing belts...

Any idea of where it might come from? A common problem maybe?

Changed most of the seals when the timing belt was changed, but no luck.

I'm searching like crazy for this problem! arrg!

'02 milli S here...

Well it leaks a lot....everything is all oily and dripping. Looking behind the engine... standing under the car, I don't see it leaking from the valve cover gasket. At least the back side of the rear bank doesn't leak.. I assume if it leaks from the valve cover, there would be oil around the cover too.. and the leak doesn't start that high.

After the timing belt was replaced and most seals changed, the car ran fine no leaks, but parked and idling and/or revving. So, seems it leaks when it is rolling.

BTW if it is a valve cover gasket, it will be a fun day! I don't need experience, I'm a motorcycle mechanic. Working on my millenia is just fun for a change!

Its usually not all around, with the millenia's it seems to start in a single corner and just get bigger. If its already dripping then I would say its been leaking for a very very long time, the VC are a pretty bad design according to most.

You can go to the dealer who will change them for about 500 bucks, or spend about 50 bucks on the gaskets and do it yourself.