Modifying Pcv System?

I have been reading a bit on the Turbo Protoge forums and it seems that alot of them are using a Millenia S PCV valve and running a small inline fuel filter in it. Some say they even notice their oil is cleaner and they dont burn that much oil anymore. Would doing this mod benefit the Milly S?

Oil Catch Tanks collect the oil, moisture and blow-by gas that causes carbon and sludge build-up in the intake system and engine to keep them clean even under the hardest driving conditions. An oil catch tank is also an excellent engine dress up item that will give your car a racing image.

Engines are prone to accumulation of an oil sludge mixture forming inside the intake tract due to crankcase pressure and inefficient combustion. And although oil in the intake track is normal it can reduce engine performance. The Megan Racing oil catch tank will hold this oily byproduct by removing it from suspension within the air intake stream. By doing so, horsepower is then increased by eliminating the engine’s current requirement to try and burn this relatively non-combustible oil. Engine life is extended due to this oil not having the ability to gum up the valve train and other moving parts and sensors.

So this connects inline of the PCV system? And would this benefit the MCE or does the S/C need that mist of oil?

A post I made in the "other" world and was wondering what is your guys opinion on this?

It's not just protege and it's not just boosted guys that do this. Over the long run, I would say a catch can is better than the inline filter simply because you never need to replace it. Just splice it between the valve and intake and you're done. I've seen many pictures supporting the use of one, but I've never installed one on any of my cars (even though I have one sitting in the garage). Would it benefit the MCE, I would say no less than any other engine, the rotors are the only part of the s/c that would receive any of the mist, and I have a hard time believing they need any oil on them. S/c rotors are built to such tight tolerances that anything between them can only cause damage (anything solid anyhow). And since liquids don't easily compress, they can't be good either.

they have good ones for lesss than $100 and it would go inline of the PCV system. So from the PCV valve to the catch can then to the ABV Actuator. What Ren says makes sense. But other peopleare saying that in a well running well maintained engine it is not needed but will not hurt.

• 5 months later...
I am thinking about trying this (link) out.

The only reason I haven't ordered it yet is because I usually avoid accessories from eBay, but the design makes sense and I couldn't find any negative comments about it online. Although I would like to know what that stuff inside it is...

Yeah what the heck is inside? That it can separate gas and oil. And what is this:

. It does all this good stuff PLUS has claims of up to 25% MPG Gains!! (Why wouldn't you get one?)

I am thinking about trying this (link) out.

The only reason I haven't ordered it yet is because I usually avoid accessories from eBay, but the design makes sense and I couldn't find any negative comments about it online. Although I would like to know what that stuff inside it is...

Yeah what the heck is inside? That it can separate gas and oil. And what is this:

. It does all this good stuff PLUS has claims of up to 25% MPG Gains!! (Why wouldn't you get one?)

I know... that is the line that makes me question if it is legitimate. I would expect absolutely no gas mileage gain from it. I like the idea that the oil will supposedly be captured and can be cleaned out and reused.

edit: I found out that it is nothing more than a modified air/water separator with some brass fittings screwed in (and whatever is inside it). They are sold at home depot. It doesn't mean it wouldn't still work but it is intended for water, not oil, and I think that there is probably a better solution.