Car's Dead :(

Driving this morning and heard a grinding/ticking noise from the engine... stopped and saw that there's no oil at all... by then the engine had already taken damage...

I have no idea what happened. I check the oil regularly and it doesn't burn much or drip any oil so it suddenly decided to take a huge dump this morning :( Also, no warning lights whatsoever came on which puzzles me a bit...

Not sure what to do next. Being a 95 it has a really low value even when running :(

No oil at all? it had to go somewhere, how often are you checking, like normal every month, or like an obama checknig every 18 months?

5 quarts of oil doesn't just vanish, is your drain plug still there? anything running down the back of the car, anything in the engine?

My advice would be to overfill it with oil and try to start it back up, it won't be great, but should still work, then figure out where it went. Unless its a 2.5, then its not worth much

Check every 1-2 weeks since it's an old car.

No oil at all I don't think it's the drain plug or anything normal because I filled it back up with oil as soon as I pulled over and saw it dry and it's all still there.

Right now I think the engine suffered some damage because even filled up it was cutting out in the parking lot and had a hard start with lots of horrible grinding noises ect.

and it's a 2.5

unless your in the market for a newer millenia I would see what you can do with it. Even with as alittle as 1-2 quarts it shouldn't do damage unless your revving hard.

Did the oil light come on at all? I thought it came on around 2quarts or something.

Seriously, despite what hippies want you to believe oil doesn't just disappear.

I would check the oil light then, just test it in the ignition.

I still would try to get it working, you come home from school, you need a car, school it only a few months.

I never understood this, when I went off to college I couldn't have a car, nor would I being in the city. I more or less prepped the millenia as I do today, except no capsule. washed, waxed, extra air in tires, fuel stablizer etc.

then I bought a cheap motorcycle and took to college.

I had it checked out and the mechanic said it probably has some bad internal problems.

When its running it sounds like heavy metal grinding and as if metal bits are falling off and being thrown around; this is from the center of the engine.

The oil light bulb does work, no idea why it didn't come on

Even if there were no reading at all on the dipstick there would still be enough oil to circulate, unless you lost everything which would mean there was a major pool of oil somewhere. Anyway the oil lamp should have come on when it happened.

If refilling didn't help, your engine is probably best suited as a garden table base. If you'd like to keep the car, try to source a used engine. At this point, you're better off since it's a 2,5.

I'd still like to know where the oil went

did you recently go to a jiffy lube or have the oil changed some place and they just...forgot to fill it back up. I don't knwo what the exact amount is, but as a rule of thumb the L to F mark on dipsticks represent 1 quart, to the bottom is another 2-3? takes 4.5 qts?

I'm reasonably convinced that if there was ZERO oil and you were running down the highway in summer it would have frozen up or overheated.

It normally holds oil just fine, suddenly on a drive yesterday morning it went bone dry which is when the noises and problems started. Right when I heard the stuff I stopped then checked the oil and refilled with about 4 quarts

pre it suddenly running dry the oil level had always been pretty consistent and at a good level last I checked.

Check the oil pressure sensor. It is right above the oil filter and has one wire going to it. When it goes bad, it starts slow, then just opens up and dumps oil. I had to replace mine a while ago, but I caught it before I lost a lot. When I parked to change it, it was at the point where I could turn the car on and watch it stream out.

back to the car today;

ran it for a little while and saw no oil whatsoever dripping, no burning either.

All the oil I filled up when I saw the car had gone dry is still there(pitch black now)

When I opened the hood on hearing the grinding noises there was a very light layer of oil on the back of the front bank with negligible burning(never there before)- this wasn't there either.