0w-40 For The S

Just wondering what everyone thinks, I have always run 5w-30 full synthetic in the millenia but lately people keep talking about the benefits of running 0w-40, basically saying its better for startup and then better when hot. I know the audi requires it and its not easy to find but what do people think? Since the millenia is usually started after sitting for a few weeks/months at a min startup protection is great. I'm just worried about it being too thin when hot

5W-30 synthetic is not too thin when it's hot and certainly not too thick when it's cold. 30 is also the only recommended grade- but this doesn't mean a 0W-40 won't work just fine. I've used 5W-40 synthetic for years in the Xedos (same oilspecs as the 2,3) without issues. The only possible issue (HLA related) won't happen in the 2,3 sinse the lifters are solid.

Don't let Audi recommendations blurr the picture; they probably run Longlife oils which you don't need in the Millenia because Mazda never went the redicilously long oilchange interval route like some euro brands.

Bottom line- 0W-40 is fine, just as 5W-30. So why bother. I did it because 5W-40 Magnatec was the only reasonably priced synthetic Castrol for a while.

Yeah well someone at audi is utterly retarded, the default service distance is 12k which is insane, I don't care if hte oil doesn't break don it still gets dirty. Not only that but on the 1 engine they put these "longlife" oil's in those are the exact same engines known to have sludge problems, and everyone agrees simply sticking to tried and true 3500 miles will solve the problem

So would there be any drawsbacks or benefits to using 0w-40 in the S?

I used 5w-40 and 10w-30 amsoil. I dont see any difference in terms of: oil consumption, mileage, performace.

40 is better if you drive at high revs and let more fuel mix to the oil, causing oil to get lighter. M3 uses 10w-60 and regularly revs above 5k rpm. If you dont race with hold pressed I dont think you usually drive at high revs with an AT car.

well when the millenia is driven it usually starts off very slow, very calm until its at operating temp, then I drive a few more miles ultra slow and nice, then I usually take it on spirited runs, I would say I normally exceed 100mph and around 4000rpms for semi extended periods of time.

NONE of my cars burn a single drop of oil, period. I use mobil1 synthetic for jeep and audi, switched to valovine full synthetic for millenia and have 300k engine warranty as a result.

recent research seems to conclude that the S/C is a result of lazy, cheap ghetto assholes who don't know anything.

More to the point, the oilling system is vacuum feed, so a vacuum leak not taken care of combined with using standard or substandard oil - and going extended distances is what causes it all to go.