Funny noise whilst driving Xedos 9

On way back from work today, noticed what I can only describe as a cross between a scraping noise and a glassy rattle emanating from what appeared to be the front left side of my car.

I've never noticed it before but this afternoon when I went to one site today the drive was all loose gravel as they are building a large extension and the noise started then but that could just be coincidence ?

Anyway, I left the stereo off to monitor the sound and it was definitely present the whole of the trip home. Sometimes it just sounded like a scraping noise, then at times it sounded as if I had something loose that was rattling but it sounded like glass rattling.

The noise was becoming more constant and when I put the car in reverse to get on my drive, there was a definite scrapy, whining type of noise for the whole time that it was in reverse. Like I said, I've never had this before till now.

What could it be ?

So anyways, I gets the brakes cleaned and checked and thankfully the noise has now gone. But while I was at it, I thought I'd treat the car to a full service but in the process, the mech couldn't change number 3 and 4 plugs as they had seized up.

I told him not to force anything cause I couldn't bear the thought of the head having to be removed.

Is there any safe way of freeing these stubborn plugs without snapping them and how long will it be before they pack up altogether ?

Good thing your brakes are fine. Seized plugs is not fun, not unknown in alloy heads though. I would have thought Mazda put steel inserts in there, but maybe not. It is, however, if threads go bad when the plugs are taken out, possible to insert helicoil threads without removing the head. One thing is certain, they will not get less seized by waiting to remove them. I would try tightening them abit more to get them loose as a first attempt. Preferably with warm engine, though that is a bit tricky on the Miller Cycle I guess, with all the labour to get access to the plugs. Just my suggestion based on work on other engines.

• 2 weeks later...

Spray a penetrant oil down on them (Tabasco works as a great penetrant for freeing up nuts and bolts, laugh if you want, but it works), you could also try pulling them hot, as the block heats up and loosen things. Someone likely put them in too tight and the threads are locked. But you should be able to break them free. I would get an impact gun that you dial down to a light torque and use the hammering action to free them up. But do not use the gun if you cannot lower the force! You do not want to break it off in there.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the color is the same as my rust penetrant :D

Never heard of it, suppose it might work. Coke is also fine to remove surface rust like on tools and stuff. At least it was when I was a kid, they may have changed the formula I guess.

Now as Dallas probably will reply, it is a assload of years since I was a kid. Saved him the trouble didn't I :D

Spray a penetrant oil down on them (Tabasco works as a great penetrant for freeing up nuts and bolts, laugh if you want, but it works), you could also try pulling them hot, as the block heats up and loosen things. Someone likely put them in too tight and the threads are locked. But you should be able to break them free. I would get an impact gun that you dial down to a light torque and use the hammering action to free them up. But do not use the gun if you cannot lower the force! You do not want to break it off in there.

I wouldnt lossen a spark plug hot. You will stirp the threads esp on aluminun heads guy at work told me that cause that happened to him to. Also just listen to me when u heat up metal it get brittle i wouldnt do it. Only time i use heat is on exhaust componets. And i use a torch as well . Use rust inhibitor and tighten and losen the plugs when it gets to tight back off spray repeat. It will work just have patience