Hard braking

I was wondering the following things:

Under panic brake conditions (stomping the pedal), what components of the suspension are the greatest stressed? And when you upgrade pads/rotors, I know that the stopping force is more powerful, so how is the suspension affected?

Scenario:

You are coming at highway speed and there is an obstacle that you must avoid. Should you stay on the brakes to lose speed as you try to manouver around it, or should you simply veer around? Which is safer?

Let's say you overcorrect and throw the car into a slide; what parts of the suspension are the greatest stressed? What things should be looked for after the car has been through a stressful event such as that?

The reason I ask is because a friend of mine who lives in El Paso recently lost control of his L, but was safe; the car slid across the freeway and wound up on the other side, facing the wrong way but otherwise unscathed.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

unless going at some high rate of speed or going into a turn to fast you shouldn't lose control. the biggest stress under panic braking will be on the rotors. in the front the car will go forward, but you will either hit the factory bumpstops, or the struts will fully compress, not great, but neither is running into the back of a car.

you really need to have good rotors on your car. You may rememember when I first bought my 98 jeep and did a panic stop from a dumptruck that run a light that had been red for quite some time, slammed on the brakes, front passenger caliper locked up and outer rotor broke completely off fro the hub of the rotor. the best thing is that the caliper locked and held he rotor piece perfectly in place, had it replace the rotor would have torn up the entire axle before being spit into the engine bay at high speed and tearing up the fender, engine components, who knows what

• 3 weeks later...

well i have to say the rotor is at the worst of it your springs and shocks should be fine under panic braking unless they are getting worn out already and as far as sliding as much as i love it cars were not ment to go sideways so yes it weres stuff out quick at least that is my opinion and it may be wrong

Most fun I had driving a car... RWD with a pure 50/50 weight ratio that loves to hang sideways... and come back without effort.. 2.5L straight six was bullet proof too... mine had 340K kms on it before the suspension rotted through the body from all the wonderful East Coast salt air

well i was think more like a 318is and going turbo as a drift project

I was actually thinking of shoehorning the 2.5L into the 318ti two door hatch back...as the front clips are the same... but the shorter lighter wheel base.. :shifty:

:shifty: e46 M3 here

although I'm in the process of searching out a new, much higher level replacement. I like the car and all, especially the paddle shift, but all I get are random chink kids trying to race me, or cops following me, and I dunno, I would like to keep it, but at the same time trade it. I like how its very focused like the millenia, unlike say the m6 which is nice and all, but more as a ride, not a drive.