Leds

ChiTown

• Replies 514
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like I said, I hear claims 4ft on the average, but 12 isn't unreasonable at all, thiking most people will travel at 80 or so its even more. The thing with led's is that once power (a very small amount mind you) is applied then its instant, whereas a halogen bulb has to "warm up" the filiment to create light, so in reality your comparing the speed of light, vs a giant heater warming up, then having to throw its lights.

Ad for your videos, its clear that the halogn is brighter by a good bit, I have the new generation towers which are about 90% as brighter, and my high power towers are slightly brighter. Anyway, did you get red led's or white? for brake lights you should always get red, but your lights look orange, but it could just be hte camera. Also, have did you get it so only the inner tails come on with the parking lights?

Bulb is not that bad actually, the time difference is 0.134sec as i measured through frame by frame comparison. And we usually dont brake all the way till a dead stop...

I had red leds. In video it is not obvious i know. I have better pics waiting.. I guess only inners come on? I didnt do anything special..

Like I said, I hear claims 4ft on the average, but 12 isn't unreasonable at all, thiking most people will travel at 80 or so its even more. The thing with led's is that once power (a very small amount mind you) is applied then its instant, whereas a halogen bulb has to "warm up" the filiment to create light, so in reality your comparing the speed of light, vs a giant heater warming up, then having to throw its lights.

Ad for your videos, its clear that the halogn is brighter by a good bit, I have the new generation towers which are about 90% as brighter, and my high power towers are slightly brighter. Anyway, did you get red led's or white? for brake lights you should always get red, but your lights look orange, but it could just be hte camera. Also, have did you get it so only the inner tails come on with the parking lights?

It was like this till i installed the first taillight LED for sure. And I feel it is the case before. I remember i though i just had a single light at the tail when one bulb was burnt.. Can anyone with 01-02 check for me? 4 is better..

I'v never seen a millenia where all 4 didn't light in sync, including 01-02 millenia's. Did this happen when you installed the led's, or always been like this

its not the led's themselfs, its housings with clear lenses, even if tinted red, there still transparent, this allows all the extra sunlight to get in, bounce around and be reflected back with the red, bluring it out.

factory led's are still much better then halogens even in the daytime, but the lenses are something to work on.

I realized i have two more burned filaments (the outers), LED conversion soon. Hope cc works.. Thanks man saved my life (maybe) :attention:

I'v never seen a millenia where all 4 didn't light in sync, including 01-02 millenia's. Did this happen when you installed the led's, or always been like this

Well if 1 of the filiments in the bulbs was burned out then yes, that would also do it. But now I'm wondering, before you put in the LED's were ALL 4 of your brake lights not working under braking, only when the headlights were on. If that is the case It is amazing you were nto reended

Well all brake filaments are still in good condition. My friend warned me that one of my tails didnt work (which comes on with the parks/headlights). Probably 3 didnt work but i didnt realize before BHRs post..

Well if 1 of the filiments in the bulbs was burned out then yes, that would also do it. But now I'm wondering, before you put in the LED's were ALL 4 of your brake lights not working under braking, only when the headlights were on. If that is the case It is amazing you were nto reended

The 5W filaments are broken as far as i see from outside. I need to find cheap and very bright LEDs first.. If i had time i would build my own tower with much better LEDs but no time for that...

Some pics:

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

So are they burned out, or electrical gremlins? We await the bulb replacement to see.

Here is what i used:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2pcs-7440-7...00883QQtcZphoto

http://cgi.ebay.com/2pcs-501-W5W-High-Powe...oQQcmdZViewItem

Tails are not bright enough, and you can find a better shape for license. This is not the best shape. I put some aluminum foil to reflect the light.

I have 3 tails and a front side marker burned..

So BHR which LEDs are the brightest there? Put the picture or complete name pls..

And did you put 01/02 lights to 00?

indeed, you really need to go with some towers from SL.

Here is a pic with towers on the inside and standard 7443 on the outside, the led's are actually brighter. You will also note that all 4 lights come on with the marker lights, and all 4 go to high when braking.

damn straight I did. 600 for the tails, 200 for a new trunk lid (which took over a year to track down) and then a good amount of blood to install. Plus the leds themselfs, full led conversion.

In the brakes and turns I now have 18 led SMT high-power towers, currently 19 bucks each. They have just released a new version with 24 led's, but won't make much of a difference. There is however a new tower with 11 leds or something, 10x high powered and then a single 3w on top....very interesting... Anyway, this is what I run

http://superlumination.com/images/auto_bul..._tower_r_wm.jpg

My turn signals are also red led towers, white 921 towers for the reverse, and 194 5-led matrix for the licenase plate.

If your interested I have my old 7440 red towers I use to have in my turn signals. There not QUITE as bright as stock, but they are full towers, red. I'll let you have them for 30 shipped for the pair if your interested. These are what I'm talking about (for sale, not what I use)

http://superlumination.com/images/auto_bulbs/7443r_tower.jpg

trout, I haven't had any problems with mine, hwoever they do not seem to generate any more heat then other leds, even after being left on side by side for a good 45 minutes, the resistors they are hooked up to actually seem to stay slightly cooler though.

What I'm interested in are these. While the 3w being on top doesn't help with spread, it does increase brightness by a good amount...if only they placed them around the sides...

I await your opinon, but the heatsink on top is a good sign.

"10x high powered SMT side facing LEDS - 1x 3 watt luxeon super high powered forward facing LEDS"

IPB Image

I guess i will put not less than stock bright. Thanks anyways..

If your interested I have my old 7440 red towers I use to have in my turn signals. There not QUITE as bright as stock, but they are full towers, red. I'll let you have them for 30 shipped for the pair if your interested. These are what I'm talking about (for sale, not what I use)

http://superlumination.com/images/auto_bulbs/7443r_tower.jpg

Anubis, I wouldnt put resistors for every LED. i would put enough resistance to make CC work thats all. Actually i plan to use the old bulbs as resistors in case CC stop working.. It still works for me with outer brakes bulbs, inners LEDs...

CC control stops working when you do all 4 brake leds and the turn signals. You must use resistors/load eq for the turn signals to stop hyper flash, no getting around that, but then if you want to keep your cruise you add a small resistor to the outer brake leds'. I have a thread somewhere that outlines it with pictures and exactly what you need