Leds

ChiTown

• Replies 514
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lexus is a piece of shit and its "worlds first" led headlamps clearly haven't happened as the new Audi R8 just went on sale.

I'm so impressed with the technology that I'm very seriously considering that instead of getting the cls63, the m6, or the 99 360f1 that I sell the M3 and use the extra to fund the R8....LED headlights, R-tronic, magetic ride technology...

• 2 weeks later...

which bulb, exactly where.

certain parts of cars have different voltage, this is why led guys go back and forth in rage about resistors and what not.

for example in my jeep, there is a single bulb socket that I will go through 4 in a year, but never once change anything eles.

or it could just be a lose bulb

Common causes of Premature LED Failure

Switching on the ignition & starting the engine while the leds are switched on.

Changing or disconnecting the battery while the leds are switched on.

Charging the battery with an auxiliary battery charger, or revving the engine hard with a weak or dead battery while the leds are switched on.

Using jumper cables while the leds switched on.

Excessive AC voltage due to damaged diodes in the alternator.

High system or circuit voltage.

Voltage surges caused from switching on and off amplifiers or other peripheral add on devices that use a lot of power.

Faulty or out-of spec. voltage regulators.

Nope. The only reason is that the guy who designed the LEDs didnt consider those issues before and he has to make something up to convince customers. actual reasons:

- high temperature mostly caused by high current (or voltage).

- High current causing nonrecoverable breakdown

- High reverse current (unlikely)

- Physical damage (dont try to break them)

The thing is they wanna make them f.ing bright and push the current to the limit and they suppose the voltage is 12V but it is 14.4V for milly at least. That makes premature LED failure...

Those wont damage LEDs:

*revving the engine hard with a weak or dead battery while the leds are switched on (that directly means poor LED circuit design).

Common causes of Premature LED Failure

Charging the battery with an auxiliary battery charger, or revving the engine hard with a weak or dead battery while the leds are switched on.

Using jumper cables while the leds switched on.

Excessive AC voltage due to damaged diodes in the alternator.

High system or circuit voltage.

Voltage surges caused from switching on and off amplifiers or other peripheral add on devices that use a lot of power.

Faulty or out-of spec. voltage regulators.

Yes and no.

and "led" itself is very very tough, HOWEVER, the bases that the leds and mounted into are not as tough, so when installing you have to be careful not to push on the actual led.

All cars have these problem, also the leds are designed for 12v, but your car doesn't produce 12v, the battery does, but the alt puts out 14.1-14.4. leds are much more sensitive to load then filiment bulbs.

all cars will have this problem. On the millenia its the fuel far right, on jeeps its the oil battery gauge far left, on a bmw its the middle for the tach, on an r8.......

Why is that? The lower the current the better for the LED..

also, keep the leds on full, led's really don't like dimmer switches

I dont believe it is the LED itself that causes blinking. An LED is either dead or good. I burned lots of LEDs on my senior project..

If I designed LED for cars I would assume the voltage is 15V.