Supercharger Needed

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright -- this doesn't fill me with hope.

This is both a before and after pic. I pulled the cover plate and found pretty much what you see below. Then I carefully mopped it all up til it was nice and shiny with no trace of oil, replaced the cover, ran the car for 30 seconds at 2000 rpm, pulled the cover again and found exactly what you see below.

This makes no sense considering the apparent condition of the unit, right down to the shiny fasteners and blemish-free rotors. Now I wonder if the 5 years the guy says it was sitting in his garage dried out the seals, making them even more brittle than they already are. Is it possible the fucking thing self destructed almost as soon as I started it up at Ren's place?

IPB Image

FUCK FUCK FUCK.

I suppose the 2007 meet could be held in Arlington, in honour of my illustrious ebay friend... :whistling:

Actually, to be serious, I'm reviewing ebay's policy on Significantly Not As Described items. I have a problem in that the time period to ask them to mediate a dispute has passed since auction close, but they do indicate that an item falls into the above category if it is "unusable" for its advertised purpose. Once I pull some documentation together I'll be contacting the guy to see if something can be worked out. (And, of course, as Ren suggested, I'd like to get my $200 or so back from Canada Customs). If you go back to the listing you can see that he equated the thing with something costing the price of a rebuild, so the assumption was reasonably made that it would be good to use. If ebay would do anything at this point for me, I don't know.

Also, I just got back from getting a Provisional Pass on the emissions test. What a fucking joke. I take the photo above into them, add to that Mazda's quote of $6,000+ to fix it and say, "I'm pretty sure I meet the $450 repair threshold beyond which you guys can give me the provisional pass." Their response? Charge me $90 to do an "Emissions Analysis" to determine the root cause (ha! no pun intended) of the burning oil, THEN retest the car to be sure it fails again (it did -- for another $19.00), then tell me my problem was a faulty catalytic converter. In the end it amounted to the same deal as the cat as we know is much more than $450. I offered to show them the inspection plate they could look through for themselves but they weren't interested. Two freakin hours jumping through hoops. Well, at least I can get my sticker and stop driving by review mirror. As Ren says though, I am forbidden to sell the car until it actually passes another test....for another $37...

Well then.... seems we need an accomplice in Arlington to effect a visit... since BHR seems to be the closest and most effective... step up to the plate.

Side note, Ren and I check the timing on my car last night and I am advanced 14 degrees :shifty: Yes I still have to get a second emissions check since burning the Mid Grade, just haven't had the time. Also we figured out how to disable the DRLs to save the HIDs during daylight hours. But I need to polish my lens covers, as winter has been rougn on them :(

For those that don't know, regular timing advance on the millenia is 6-8^ BTDC. Meaning MTS is 6-8^ advanced more than spec. If the milly did need premium, then his engine should have been pinging all over the place with midgrade and this timing advance.

Did you adjust advacement puposely or it is wrong t-belt instalation?

F..k premium. Since the gas prices are high, i am putting mid and it is pretty good.. Weather is 50-60F (10-15C) here. So no need for premium..

Well then.... seems we need an accomplice in Arlington to effect a visit... since BHR seems to be the closest and most effective... step up to the plate.

Side note, Ren and I check the timing on my car last night and I am advanced 14 degrees :shifty: Yes I still have to get a second emissions check since burning the Mid Grade, just haven't had the time. Also we figured out how to disable the DRLs to save the HIDs during daylight hours. But I need to polish my lens covers, as winter has been rougn on them :(

Get a timing gun... check your timing and advance as necessary.... you can do this by loosening the bolts on the cam sensor and roating it forward.... OR take the cam sensor cover off and loosen the screw hold the rotating disk that triggers the sensor... but this is much more subjective and easy to fuck up.