Burning Oil?

1. meh

2. meh.

3. no problem!

Managing Used Oil for Homeowners

NOTE: Used oil contains chemical compounds that can be harmful to humans and other animals. When managed properly, used oil may again be of beneficial use. Used oil may be blended and recycled as a heating or industrial fuel and also may be re-refined and made into new lubricants. Persons who change the motor oil in their own vehicles are responsible for managing the used oil in a manner that is protective of human health and the environment.

Persons who change the oil in their own vehicles should:

1. Collect and store that oil in water tight containers.

2. Take used oil to the solid waste collection center for your county or city. Contact the local Public Works office to obtain information about the solid waste collection center near your residence. Used oil may also be collected by commercial recycling facilities and local businesses (e.g. local gas stations , some auto parts stores).

3. Store and dispose used oil filters in a manner that prevents oil discharges. It is recommended that you:

-drain as much oil from the filter as possible

-place the oil filter in a plastic bag, and

-dispose of the used oil filter at your local solid waste collection center (i.e. landfill/transfer station) or place with other household waste to be collected by your local waste collection agency.

Do Not:

1. Mix used oil with other fluids such as water, antifreeze, degreasers, gasoline or other motor fuels, etc. Mixing used oil with other fluids make that oil more difficult to recycle and re-use.

2. Dispose of oil by placing that oil into or on driveways, ditches, dry wells, surface water, roadways ( for dust control), storm sewers, etc. The discharge of oil into or upon state lands, waters, or storm sewers is a violation of Article 11 of Virginia Water Control Law. Persons discharging in this manner may be fined and/or required to clean up that discharge.

Used oil (liquids) disposal:

There is a webpage which provides detailed information regarding where and how to dispose of used oil, oil filters and antifreeze. Used motor oil, oil filters and antifreeze can be recycled or "beneficially used." Many service stations, auto repair shops, parts stores and local governments provide collection sites for these waste products. The current survey identified over 860 collection sites for these materials in Virginia. Click here to go to the DEQ Recycling web page to see where you can dispose of your used liquids and other information about recycling.

Used Oil Filters

* A final rule on used oil filters was promulgated in the May 20, 1992, Federal Register.

* Used oil filters are not regulated as a hazardous waste if they are managed by one of the following methods:

o puncturing the filter anti-drain back valve or the filter dome end and hot-draining

o hot-draining and crushing

o dismantling and hot-draining; or

o any other equivalent hot-draining method that will remove used oil

* Filters managed by one of the above methods are still regulated as a solid waste.

* If filters have not been managed by one of the methods listed above, they contain oil, and are to be disposed, then the generator must use TCLP to determine if they are a hazardous waste.

* Oil filters from households (i.e. persons who change oil in their own cars) are exempt from the VHWMR.

ok, whats the point of that, with the exception of coolant I collect all my used fluids and dispose of at a special county collection site.

actually I have a deer park 5 gallon water drum, I just dump it all in there from engine oil to diff fluid, then about once a year when its full I can just dump it then, much easier then those little shits that never seal

Xedos, I thought I would be the only one on here that goes more than 15k between oil changes. I do however use an oversized filter, and change that at the halfway point (8-10k).

which filter # and brand is it ren, I would like to use the same filter

Don't even try to say you know more about cars than BMW (or a five year old for that matter).

hahahahahahah PWNED!!!

first of all mts, if it was driven instead of warmed up and revved then I wouldn't be concerned about the acid level, and 2nd, I would perfer t do it every 3 months, which means going a year is crazy long, and I don't do the millenia's oil, it takes to long, and frankly, I like to have my trust mechanics look over and do everything, and as I have stated before and provided receipts for, it is CHEAPER to have them do it (55 dollars vs 62)

now for say the jeep I do eveything myself, so that deer park drum has diff fluid, tc fluid, brake fluid, and plenty of 5w-30 truck and suv mobile 1 with a good 3100 miles or so on it

I only use NAPA gold filters ~$15CAD (though I get a huge discount at NAPA so for me only $8 :) ). I don't have the number but it's for a 94 Corvette ZR1. Fit's like stock, but holds an extra 1/3 litre of oil (1/3 quart). I change the filter at about 8000kms, and the oil at 15-20k (depending on weather). And I only use Royal Purple 10w30.

1. They last longer. Since the filter is 3x the size it can go a lot longer between oil changes.

2. Since the filter is 3x the size, it will prevent oil pressure from dropping since it won't be as plugged up with contaminants in a given amount of time.

3. Since you now have more oil (although not much), you can go longer between oil changes since the contaminants are dispersed more than in less oil.

4. And finally, flow volume will either increase, or remain unchanged for a longer period of time.

• 3 weeks later...