Very Odd

mts

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

brake distance and overall performance.

the braking distance for my safety from retards, and overall performance that they will endlessly complain about

the braking distance for my safety from retards, and overall performance that they will endlessly complain about

Whats got to the with the rim? brake distance.

Come on if its aluminium they should all be very light.. Rim is around 20lbs (10kg), car is 3400lbs (1600kg). My tires are heavier than stock rims..

You guys should better go to gym rather than complaining the rim weight if you wanna brake shorter :D

first of all, not true at all.

jsut because its the same thing doesn't at all mean it weighs the same.

there are for example rims, and forged rims, bbs rims are forged from a single billet of high grade laum, making them MUCH MUCH MUCH stronger and lighter, cast they jsut melt old *Reference banned from MW* cans into a mold.

different grades, different weights, the design also has a big impact, the more metal they use, the heavier it is.

Heavier wheels and tires are whats known as "unsprung" weight, you can't control it through the suspension or otherwise, and it is generally expected that it takes 4x as much force to start or stop unsprung weight then standard.

So when you go to ghetto ass 20's that are cast cast steel with heavy ass cheap chrome that weight 30 lbs, you've added 13lbs per wheel x 4 wheels, times 4 208 extra lbs of weight the brakes have to stop, and whats worse, instead of just having a passenger and 208 going to the 4 rotors, its 50lbs extra being put on each one

research it, especially from an F1 standpoint, it makes a HUGE different.

Infact the stopping distance decrease between stock rims and 22" chromes is greater then the distance gained by a big brake kit

I'm still amazed there was the bbs rims though

That is because in Europe the people have better taste

Put the words in my mouth there sir. Actually I have only seen tan interior in 01-02's in Europe. Always black and grey in the 93-00's to my knowledge.

It is quite annoying that Dallas finds himself with two sets of those gorgeous rims while I have none :mad:

Those rims aren't hard to find - they used to be very common aftermarket rims here in Aus.

Extra weight on the wheel will probably have much more impact than you think - think of all the kinetic energy stored in a flywheel or dynamo - a turning wheel & tyre is exactly the same and just changing it's direction requires energy, yet alone stopping it.

G.

Actually, their top speeds will be very similar, although the one with lighter wheels & tyres will accelerate & brake better.

For cornering? One of my first cars was a 1981 1.3L carbied Corolla with 13" Cheviot Hotwire rims and 205/60/13 tyres and I could majorly outhandle a Ford Laser TX3 Turbo AWD through some tight twisty roads.

His car had 15" rims and low profile tyres.

So low profile tyres does not make a car handle better - sometimes it can make a car handle far worse because there is no compliance left for the tyre to grip the road, instead it becomes like a skateboard wheel.

But the real discussion as I see it is about crap heavy wheels versus equally sized good quality wheels that weigh less. End result is that tyre size & therefore grip is the same, but less weight offers many benefits.

Cheers, G.

Many good points here. However a small engined car will need a really loooong straight on a track to obtain top speed.

Definitely depends on the car. A friend had a 1 litre Daihatsu Charade that was quicker than a 5.7L LS1 engined Holden Commodore (basically GM)

Really the engine's dynamic ability and the weight of the car restrict time to top speed.

I had a 2L ford that took about 2 minutes on a freeway go from 110kph to top speed of 177kph

I had a 1.6L Daihatsu that went from 130kph to top speed in a scarely short space of road, just before a corner. I almost hit redline in 5th gear doing 220kph. The corner was scarey, but I came around it still on the road and facing the right direction the whole time.

(FYI, 110kph = 70mph. 177kph = 110mph. 220kph = 138mph)

I haven't taken any larger engined cars to top speed, never had one that I could trust enough.

G.