Mazda Xedos 9 Brake Conversion

hi all,

I have a European Xedos9 (1996).

I want to import brakes from the USA (discs + pads).

I wanted to know if the Millenia and the Xedos 9 have the same size.

they should be the same, but I thought it would be better I ask it, then I'll be SURE!

Why import?

Bcz the discs ONLY cost over €500 here.

I know my bolts are 5x114,3 but I don't know whats the size in the USA.

You guys are the best.

I can solve all my problems with y'all prepared to help me.

Bahahahahaha, eat that BHR.

F1 Disc Brakes

Disc brakes consist of a rotor and caliper at each wheel. Expensive carbon-carbon (the same material used on the Space Shuttle) composite rotors - introduced by the Brabham team in 1976 - are used instead of steel or cast iron because of their superior frictional, thermal, and anti-warping properties, as well as significant weight savings. These brakes are designed and manufactured to work in extreme temperatures, up to 1,000 degrees Celsius. The driver can control brake force distribution fore and aft to compensate for changes in track conditions or fuel load. Regulations specify this control has to be manual, not electronic.

An average F1 car can decelerate from 100-0 km/h (62-0 mph) in about 17 metres (55 ft), compared with a Dodge Viper (considered one of the best mass-production street cars for braking), which takes around 34 metres (112 ft). When braking from higher speeds, aerodynamic downforce enables tremendous deceleration: 4.5 g to 5.0 g (44.1 to 49 m/s²), and up to 5.5 g at the high-speed circuits such as the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve (Canadian GP) and the Autodromo Nazionale Monza (Italian GP). This contrasts with 1.0 g to 1.5 g for the best sports cars (the Bugatti Veyron is claimed to be able to brake at 1.3 g). An F1 car can brake from 200 km/h (124 mph) to a complete stop just 2.9 seconds, using only 65 meters (213 ft).

There are three companies who manufacture brakes for Formula One. They are Hitco, (based in the US, part of the SGL Carbon Group), Brembo in Italy and Carbone Industrie of France. Whilst Hitco manufacture their own carbon/carbon, Brembo sources theirs from Honeywell, and Carbone Industrie purchases their carbon from Messier Bugatti.

Carbon/Carbon is a short name for carbon fibre reinforced carbon. This means carbon fibres strengthening a matrix of carbon, which is added to the fibres by way of matrix deposition (CVI or CVD) or by pyrolosis of a resin binder.

F1 brakes are 278 mm (10.9 in) in diameter and a maximum of 28 mm (1.1 in) thick. The carbon/carbon brake pads are actuated by 6-piston opposed calipers provided by AP Racing or Brembo. The calipers are aluminium alloy bodied with titanium pistons. The regulation limits the modulus of the caliper material to prevent teams using exotic, high specific stiffness materials. Titanium pistons save weight, but also have a low thermal conductivity, reducing the heat flow into the brake fluid.

The most important elements of a brake system are the brake pads and disc, rotating at the same speed of the wheel. Today, these are made from carbon but this is not the same carbon used in the chassis, but a pure carbon that's very expensive to produce. It's done by a process called chemical vapour deposition. A matrix is made and put it into an oven rich in a hydrocarbon gas. Gradually pure carbon is deposited onto the matrix to make brake discs and pads - but the process takes 150 days. The resulting components weigh very little and can withstand very high temperatures. Indeed, they only work above 200-300C, which is why they'll never replace steel brake discs in roadcars.

Despite these problems, Formula 1 brake technology is coming to the street. Certain cars have ceramic brakes based on a carbon fibre matrix impregnated with resin. They're 10 times more expensive than steel but the ceramic brakes last three times as long as steel. The material is already used in braking systems on high-speed trains.

IPB ImageIPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

I have never seen brakes that hot on the highway....

How's that for F1 info... come on Cartman :bhr: argue it...

I can't afford a formula disc.

If the drilled and slotted ones are better than the OEMS it is OK.

I am not going to RACE on the streets, so it doesn't really come on performance. OEM is GREAT, but drilled looks better, don't you think so? BUT if drilled is WORSE than OEM, then I'll BUY OEM.

Although OEM is way more expensive and kinda out of my budget.

Sorry guys, it should be these ones, cuz OEM costs over €500!!!!!!

And thats HELL of money! Maybe you need to know it in dollars, it is MORE than $730!!! Now you know why I prefer the other ones. But all those BIG SPORTS CARS HAVE drilled ones. A Formula 1 car probably needs a less powerful one cuz it weights less. Don't you think so? And look at that pic, all those electronics optimizing its performance, I don't have that. And performance is not everything, the looks of it also count.

So, are the drilled ones better than the OEM ones?

sweet, never knew that brakes could really GLOW from heat.

I DID heard that the Mercedes McLaren brakes can catch fire (source = top gear), but never believed it, till NOW!

But actually, it DOES look nice, don't you think, the glowing of brakes?

I think I'll make some orange leds which which spin with the wheel and light up when braking. So My brakes could really GLOW IN THE DARK.

You guys bring me on ideas!

Thnx

They look great, and their price is also great (pessimistic)!

No, but really, the look tight, but are a little bit too expensive for me $160 for ONLY the front discs and NO pads. I think I'll stick to the cheaper ones, they DO brake, don't they? lol. I am going to sell my car when it has about 200 000km and I am stepping over to HONDA LEGEND (yeah, the new and latest one!). I'm gonna buy it on leasing. Mazda is great, but all the hustle 4 its spare parts, I don't have time for that. I have a HONDA garage next doors and they've got EVERYTHING u need at bargain prices. A Honda is a lil' bit more expensive in buying, but the maintaining is way more cheaper than Mazda. Still thnx for all your information.

My poor Milly, just standing outdoors in the rain and dust for a month now. No parts = no driving. I hope the spare parts arrive SOON.

yeah i know we discussed it was larger..i guess my question is whether or not you've had the chance to compare it to either your brother's rotor or the one on your car..

Oh the smaller one is the same as mine (0.5mm difference to be exact). I didnt measure my brothers original but i believe it is the same size.

As for the calipers, I have more room than my brother has. The larger wont fit to him for sure. It should fit to mine very tight..