P0431 Code Question

Frankzao

Does code P0431 really mean this:

P0431 OBD-II Trouble Code

Technical DescriptionWarm Up Catalyst Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 2)

What does that mean?

Basically this means that the oxygen sensor downstream of the catalytic converter on bank 2 is detecting that the converter is not working as efficiently as it should be (according to specs). It is part of the vehicle emissions system.

Symptoms

You will likely not notice any drivability problems, although there may be symptoms such as a rough/hard idle when cold.

Causes

A code P0431 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:

The catalytic converter is no longer functioning properly

An oxygen sensor is not reading (functioning) properly

There is an exhaust leak

I got one. I cleared it and it has not returned.

Any thoughts?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 6 months later...

301 would be cylinder 1 misfire, I assume you've already switched the coils? and atleast checked the sparkplugs? no oil leaking down onto the plug or anything?

Basically this means that the oxygen sensor downstream of the catalytic converter on bank 2 is detecting that the converter is not working as efficiently as it should be (according to specs). It is part of the vehicle emissions system.

A code P0431 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:

* The catalytic converter is no longer functioning properly

* An oxygen sensor is not reading (functioning) properly

* There is an exhaust leak

Might be time to replace the cat....with a high flow one and a custom exhaust

• 2 months later...

Update

THe P0431 code returned..... (few months ago)

I have 80K on the milly now.

Drove thru some 12 inches of water yesturday on the way to work (not on purpose)..... rained like cats and dogs yesturday. CEL started flashing continuously......car started to stall.....but the milly kept going...fortunately I was only a block or two from my work....

Car started fine after work and I drove it home just fine .... CEL flashing the whole time......

When I got home pulled the code P0301......Cleared the code and no return.......again......

I guess some water got up to the coil pack....:huh:

gotta luv the milly....she'll keep running no matter what!!!!

Not lies... you keep believing the lies from Mazda... mine is far more advanced in timing and mods than yours and I still run mid-grade WITHOUT issue.

That is OK mine will be sold in the spring along with Ren's MX-6

Sounds like you have a cat carboning up from all the premium fuel you use ;)

If that's the case... then why just bank #2?!

I have the same problem... (P0431 with cyl #5 misfire) seems to be on bank #2 also.

btw which one is bank #2?

talking of Exhaust leak...

some of my flex pipe's metal braiding has come off. Would this lead to a leak?!

The other one will come too.... P0421 is soon to follow. The Miller cycle engine is a carbon producer regardless, even the great BHR's exhaust tips had the tell tale black around the edges at the meet. I believe bank 2 is the rear set of O2 sensors.

If the flex pipe is losing the braiding, you will likely get a leak in the future... why has the braiding come off? Too much flex, corrosion?

The other one will come too.... P0421 is soon to follow. The Miller cycle engine is a carbon producer regardless, even the great BHR's exhaust tips had the tell tale black around the edges at the meet. I believe bank 2 is the rear set of O2 sensors.

If the flex pipe is losing the braiding, you will likely get a leak in the future... why has the braiding come off? Too much flex, corrosion?

I don't know... it look like if it just simply vanished in dust. No sign of damage.

Probably corrosion :)

...and why would you even think of selling it, timing and mods? no you just have headers, thats really it that I don't in terms of performance.

you should know that if there was a way for my cars to produce more hippy killing gas I would see to it, but thats not the way the millenia works

keep in mind I don't sit idling in traffic with it either