P0431 Code Question

Frankzao

Na, seafoam in the gas isnt enought to burn up carbon buildup in the cylinder since the gas is injected and combusted too quickly to take effect, thats just to clean out the injectors. You have to use it through the PCV the right way and let it sit for a good 30 minutes to an hour.

Whats problably happening is the carbon in the cylinder heats up so much that it ignites the fuel prematurely creating 2 flame fronts causing the misfire and possibly a knock if it gets bad enough. Might want to do a vacuum and a compression test also, if piston rings are worn down enough that could also cause a misfire.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hah, there is more going on then you would even dream of to properly ignite the fuel. The fuel:ratio has to be 14.7:1 (depending on atmospheric pressure), spark has to occur at different times BTDC depending on engine load and has to stop 23 degrees ATDC, enough spark has to be produced to ionize the mixture at the right time. So coils and plugs or even carbon buildup may not be the answer. Could be something a bit more tricky especially with no CEL on to help guide you.

Could be an injector...

I read this a long time ago and just found it again, it might help you.

http://www.mazdaforum.com/fb.asp?m=45912

Ken inn is also a member at mazdaworld. He says to run a fuel system cleaner and a couple of bottles of heet through the tank. Worst case it doesn't work and your out $4 for both bottles of heet and maybe $8 for techron or other cleaner.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

would you believe the P0431 code stayed away till last week. Same scenario. It was raining and the CEL lit up. The Milly S now has 94K....and I cleared it again and it has not returned....to think I almost replaced a bunch of stuff.

So keeping my occasional P0431 code in mind and now that I have $$$ to spend...what should I do? O2 sensor, High flow CAT, Exhaust? 20" woofers in the trunk? rear spoiler? tow hitch?

hmmm......

• 2 weeks later...

My Mileage is 95,000..... My results at 15MPh were not good....I feel I too may have a problem in two years.....It did pass but the HC meas 44 PPM at 15mph and only 10 at 25mph....the max is 51 and 35....the CO% was good 0.09 and 0.00 at 15mph and 25mph with max at 0.48 and 0.46.....the NO measured at 255 and 54 with max being 419 and 706 PPM

Not sure what it all means except that the hydrocarbons (HC) level at 15 mph is high measuring at 44 when the average is 9ppm and max allowed is 51 ppm....this needs to come down (some how) in the next 2 years.

My Mileage is 95,000..... My results at 15MPh were not good....I feel I too may have a problem in two years.....It did pass but the HC meas 44 PPM at 15mph and only 10 at 25mph....the max is 51 and 35....the CO% was good 0.09 and 0.00 at 15mph and 25mph with max at 0.48 and 0.46.....the NO measured at 255 and 54 with max being 419 and 706 PPM

Not sure what it all means except that the hydrocarbons (HC) level at 15 mph is high measuring at 44 when the average is 9ppm and max allowed is 51 ppm....this needs to come down (some how) in the next 2 years.

When I first went CA emissions at around 110k the HC level was half way to the max IIRC. CO and NOx were almost zero. After 2 years at 130k I failed at first and barely passed the next. I found a tear on the flex pipe but I think my problem is burning oil which doesnt sound good in MCE. I may be ruining the s/c and the cat.

Are you using synthetic like me?

• 3 weeks later...