Noob Here!

# 1 - 16" wheels

# 2 - um, I think Anubis had one and his went to 300k

# 3 - I prefer the 01/02 body style as I had an 02 L

The thing is, if it checks out by a trusted mechanic, then you are getting a good car. I never had any problem with the car I had. Only had to replace the steering wheel motor (which was covered under warranty still). The S is awesome, but the L will be cheaper to maintain from what I have read.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NO, camel/anubis was an S.

the 95-97ish L wasn't that great for the tranny, it was designed for a car anywhere from 800-1800lbs less.

trust me, I really think you should hold out for an S, you can find them in that price range. style wise 99-00 tops the list for me, there were a few things in 95-96 I really didn't like, they are great cars, its not "old" If everything checks out go for it. CHECK ALL FLUIDS, if the fluids are in top notch condition then you know its been taken care of.

You said that you know the owner now and the previous owner was an older woman, so it was probably never abused or driven hard. The difference between the different years is pretty small, mostly visual changes. An S would be great, but it would require more attention and preventive maintenance to keep it running good. You should have your mechanic look it over and to pay extra attention to the condition of the transmission, and if he says everything looks good than it would be a good buy.

sure thing, Giong to have it checked especially for fluids then.

Benn looking at ebay ,etc for other millenia- definitely like the 91-92 but out of my prioce range of 3500k. Also the ones I did see that were S models in the 95-00 range either were too much, messed up, or had more miles then the one I'm about to purchase 65k miles.

interesting, so the transmission wasn't really made that well to pull. I'm assuming these guys who made it were experts in this. How did this happen? But coming back to my inquiry, is there any problem when i carry my passengers? When you say transmission does too much work and not meant for this car- what does this exactly mean. ? I'm expecting to carry 4 passengers daily.

Also, is there a difference in the outer look(body) of the 95-98 model? If so, can you let me know.

Here is the thing: tranny in the base model is too small for the car. Mazda put a tranny cooler in EU and AUS so that it doesnt overheat and doesnt fail. However the competitive market of NA made them take the cooler out. You can buy a cooler for $60 and you can install it yourself.

woah, there is no 91-92 millenia, thats the 929, totally different, that car was designed and intended for mazda, the millenia was original to be the launch car of the amati luxury brand.

anyway, millenia's were in production from 95-02 (also 94 down under)

95-96 - black console, steering wheel, blacked out grills, 15 and 16" rims, thick leather shifter and armrest, power antenna, projector lowbeams

97-98 - 16" rims, dark brown console to match interior better, steering wheel matched, reflector clear lense headlights, in glass antenna, updated and larger mazda badges, updated bose system

99-00 new 16" rims for the 2.5, 17" 5 spoke alloy and or chrome for S models, chrome trims here and there interior wise, chrome mazda logo in steering wheel, metal/chrome door handles, winter package added, small audio changes, clear tail lights and clear front turn signals, better grill, grey interior and or tu-tone optional

01-02 facelight, new truck plate, tail lights, interior changes, more colors, new L rims, new gauges, 6 disc indash cd changer, reflector style fog lights.

The S tranny was designed for the S and nothing else, the ONLY tranny failure I have seen was on a 99 at 230k. There only real issue is the S/C, and when properly maintained its not an issue at all. I really think you should hold out for an S, the prices are really great now.

I myself plan on picking up a 97-98 S to just drive until the wheels wear out, and to save the others of course.

IPB Image

infact here you go

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1998-MAZDA-...tem260216591801

2k now, I bet you could get it for 3400ish

A tranny cooler will HELP, but if the car has over 100k it might be 2 late, if it was driven by a little old lady your better off. Basically a tranny cooler is just a raditor for the tranny, just like you have a radiator to cool the coolant for the engine, a tranny cooler is dedicted to the transmission.

But oh the joy you get from driving an S

The transmission fluid runs too hot. And it burns prematurely. You should change the fluid very often or you will have to change the transmission itself eventually. A cooler which cools the fluid is what you need actually. It is nothing but a radiator:

IPB Image

It is connected in front of the engine radiator. It is easy, you can try or they shouldnt charge too much for it. There are instructions with pictures somewhere..

Please let me know about that whole thing about tranny not meant to pull so much weight. So it's preferable not to carry any passengers? I'm baffled or comepletely not understanding.

- I looked at the ebay auction http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1998-MAZDA-...tem260216591801

several things. Never bought from an auction . I know its in NJ(trenton):( which always has me iffy. Why would you recommend this car to me? It's over 100k and I'll be getting a 65k one(base) ? I've always thought over 100k not a good solid choice. Please explain. has anyone bought from ebay without actually looking at the car? The seller only has 14 positive ratings? What do you all think. If I can't go see it should i try to see if 3k could get me an S somewhere around NYC? Although i prefer white or black , not brown.

Most modern cars are good for 200k when maintained the the millenia is very well built

it doesn't matter about the number of people, but racing it wit ha bunch of people is a problem. Some people say its easy to install, but I don't think so, you have to find the right lines and do cutting and mess with fluid, so if you only know the basics then no, you should not attempt to do it yourself.

Its just an auction near you, there is 1 in NJ, I have bought several cars in NJ over the years and they've all been great.

Also keep in mind that most cars are driven 10-12k a year, so 65k on a 95 is rare period. If you were looking into newer years, like 99 and up then yes, 100k would be way 2 much.

best thing you can do is find a 99-02 one at a dealership in top condition and test drive it, THEN go out and test drive the older ones and see how much of a difference there is.

My millenia drives just like new, even better in some areas. But I have been in some millenia's poorly maintained where you know they don't take care of it. I rescued a 97 alittle over a year ago, some ghetto rat had totally trashed it

- I looked at the ebay auction http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1998-MAZDA-...tem260216591801

several things. Never bought from an auction . I know its in NJ(trenton)sad.gif which always has me iffy. Why would you recommend this car to me? It's over 100k and I'll be getting a 65k one(base) ? I've always thought over 100k not a good solid choice. Please explain. has anyone bought from ebay without actually looking at the car? The seller only has 14 positive ratings? What do you all think. I can't go see it should i try to see if 3k could get me an S somewhere around NYC? Although i prefer white or black , not brown.

The thing is I need to make this buy this WEEK. The guy is going to sell this to me and has to be this week or will sell to friend. WHAT SHALL I do. ? Get a 95 65k base model(leather/sunroof) if all checks out ok or wait to find an S model for 3K ?

hmm....

You could easily wait it out and find a 95-98 S for 3-3500, but it will most likely have 80-130k on the clock.

Check all the fluids, if the tranny fluid is bright red and doesn't smell burnt, and everything is in good condition then go for it, clean it up real nice, then upgrade later.

you don't...we were all like that at some point in our lives, well except BHR. haha....If you do get this 1995, since you already have projector housings, you should think about upgrading to xenon lights. Most excellent in projector housings.

you don't...we were all like that at some point in our lives, well except BHR. haha....If you do get this 1995, since you already have projector housings, you should think about upgrading to xenon lights. Most excellent in projector housings.

I've been out of the game some time. lol . Once I started the family I forgot about all else.

XENON lights. ok. However aren't they illegal. I could have sworn someone told me those were illegal. Especially since they're so bright . I recall having some cars have them so damn bright.

Are these lights for the main headlights? I'm assuming I'd just add these bulbs in there. And when you mention Projector lamps- huh???

I'd also assume that these lights along with the fog lights which I believe automatically go on with the headlights- it's going to be darn bright!!!

If i do get it- How much? any recommendations?

NO, NO NO!!!! Don't start him down the right path

HID's, what you want is OEM spec 4300k. If/wehn you get the car all that will be covered, there are many hid lighting experts/nazi's here. It would run you about 250 dollars, ballasts, bulbs, some plug and play wiring, don't worry about it.

get the car, then lighting and other mods will be covered.

Hmm, speaking of which 2 weeks ago was my millenia's 8th birthday, hard to believe I'v had it for so long, now to jsut find me an 01-02 silver S, and a 97-98 S.

1 Millenia, 1 Jeep, 1 Audi.

I had a 97 L I rescued from a ghetto rat who abandoned it (literally) but it couldn't be saved.

I want an 01-02 Silver S with grey interior to add to my collection, but I want that one and my black 00 to last a life time. I want a 97-00 S, maybe white, to just drive and drive since there great. Very comfortable for long trips, so much history, there not cookie cutter cars, you become part of an almost mythical status when driving one. Effortless cruising through traffic.