Noob Here!

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most modern cars are good for 200k when maintained the the millenia is very well built

Except hybrid crap that goes up to 100k and then thrown to the junk yard.

I remember that, excellent indeed.

Couldnt find the one in which you hear the exhaust but cannot see the car. Then it starts and goes above the cam :) It was a nice one.. Someone from pissbucket shot it.

there it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q57vc00qwdY

Welcome to the forum!

I have a 00 2,5 Xedos which has covered 153k km's, I bought it with 46. Don't be too concerned about the tranny, if it runs smooth and shifts nicely with no slipping it is probably fine. BUT you should change the fluid and fit an additional tranny cooler ASAP. My Xedos has one, and if you're concerned about how much the tranny copes with, I can tell you I regularly drive fully loaded as in rear exhaust touching the tarmac in bumps. I also tow on occasions, maximum 1500 kg's or the cars own weight is allowed. And part from some strange noises :whistling: on occasions my tranny still is running smooth. I do a tranny flush every 60k km.

Part from that the car is rather solid, and like MC pointed out, a 2,5 tends to be cheaper to run due to the nottooreliable SC in the S, not to mention timeconsuming engine maintenance. Like one days work to change sparkplugs and check valve clearance every 56k :rolleyes:

Having driven both engines, I can confirm that the Miller Cycle (S) is faster, of course. But to be frank, not that helluvalot faster. A fully loaded S versus driver only L would be an interesting race, get it?

What I'd say is the main difference, is the effortless build of speed in the S. It will produce loads of useful and smooth midrange (3 to 5 k) torque, and typically do the job one cog up compared with the revvy 2,5. The kickdown in the 2,5 is happy to send the revs way beyond 5 k, and once hitting the right revband (4500-7000) the 2,5 isn't that slow. It is a pig sub 3,5 k though. This means that the Miller Cycle will give better comfort and effortless pace, while the 2,5 needs to be pushed harder to deliver. Each to their own taste I guess; being hopelessly devoted to the 2,5's pretty song on high revs I can't really say which engine I like better. The ultimate engine in my book would have the bulletproof 2,5's song and revband combined with the midrange grunt in the Miller Cycle.

Good luck with your purchase!

Once you go S, you never want the rest.

Saint, your wrong, that video is from the same person who shot the video I linked, its street, who is here.

The S can be a pain to work on, spark plugs are about a 2-4 hour job, the S/C on the S is more reliable then the tranny on the 2.5 L, well maintained and treated right both will last a life time.

Proper fluids, if you do get the 65k then change the oil right away, and unless teh tranny fluid is brand new or changed in the last 5k then get it changed as well. Other then that just check over the car, get underneath and check for signs of rust, anything dripping, whatever.

So here we go again. What do you think...

The 95 L(leather/sunroof) Black color. with 65k miles. Being offered from a family friend. Being inspected tomorrow.

or this

98 L (seems no sunroof) green color with 79k miles. Probably will do a quick inspection but not to a mechanic.

http://newyork.craigslist.org/jsy/car/596644619.html

Both being offered for $3000. What would you do?'

hmm just found this one. did they ever make a blue one?

http://newyork.craigslist.org/que/car/596130391.html

If between a 98L and 95L I would take the 98 for styling, others would take the 95, but mechanically there probably the same, so go for the 95 with fewer miles.

As for the other one, yes they did make a blue, infact in 195-96 there was an excellent blue that rsutton had, which I want. Either way find out what "needs a tune up" means and if they have the factory wheels.

I would go and see it first, NJ isn't far, just email them first asking what they want for it so its not something stupid and out of your range.

I'v gone up to 250 miles to find the exact car I want.

"newer cars" means newer models usually, but the millenia was ahead of its time, if people would change the damn fluids the S would go forever, if people stopped trying to make the 2.5 into a race car and changed the fluid it would last forever.

this gets better and better. UInfortunately no time to check it in NJ. Especially since it'll be over in less then an hour the auction. hmmm??? have no idea. Only good thing about this auction is that RESERVE IS NOT MET YET. So it amy go up again.

Also my sis boyfriend says he wants to re think it? WTF?? He must have someone offering more money for it. OR knows that there may be a prob and doesn't want my mechanic checking it. They'll let me know for sure in an hour. lol I was going to get it for 3k.

I want a milly and now preferably an S but not over 3k. that's all I got.

Since your looking at older cars in that price range do you want a flawless car, mechanically sure, but do you mean some dings, dents, or poor bumpers. there is a 97 S for sale around here, OK cosmetic condition, 89k, 3100.

I understand with a car this old there will be some minor dings. MINOR. Not bad for the mileage but did you test it? Anyway yuou can provide some pictures of it?

I would stay away from the 2.5 95-96 years though since those are the years that had all those problems with the CFGS (cam friction gear spring) which could be a pretty expensive job to get done or a hard job to do yourself. There is no way to tell if the problem had already happened and the updated spring and nut were put in unless you open up the engine. On the other hand the good thing about those years is the way the paint holds up for a long time because of the way they were painted.

-Steven