Finally Caught Up....

Went for a *Reference banned from MW* run on my day off, and got hit with rough idle on start up. CEL lit up about 5 minutes later. I checked the vacuum lines, solenoids were just replaced. Removed the the spark plugs, and 2/6 plugs were swimming in oil. Judging from the looks of the plug wells I've got leaks from the vcg. I need some suggestions on a quality vcg and silicon.

Secondary question, what are the chances my plugs are done for after getting fouled?

Tertiary question, what are the chances the fouled plugs have taken out one of the coil packs?

Unlikely they did damage to the coils

plugs should be replaced, but do all 6 since you'll be in there anyway

VCG's seem to be coming about as a major problem, most people have agreed the best thing you can do is get a factory gasket and that its design, not the seal causing leaks.

MWM08!!!!

I can't attend this year. I was barely able to afford summer intercession classes, and now i have this repair. I'm heading up to Advance Auto right now to get an engine compression gauge. I'm gonna try to figure out what the state of my KJ is while it's mostly apart.

Xedosman wrote a very nice write up on replacing a vcg. Make sure you use gasket sealant with a high resistance to high temps. And also make sure you follow the order in which you suppose to tighten the VC screws.

IPB Image

I believe thats right, ill double check in my workshop manual later.

I do have a code throwing, but i decided backtracking symptops to a condition might be a good idea, hence the compression gauge. Anyone know the factory spec psi per cylinder? If anyone knows the trigger wire for the starter near the fusebox that would help me out also.

A valve issue I might be able to deal with, but if the head is gone, the S is heading back to the farm.

I really wish i could, but I have to magically come up with 6000 to attend and finish school next semester.

I'll have to collect on the gas wager next year, no big commitments next summer or fall.

Just did the compression test on each cylinder...

185 195 195

O O O

O O O

208 180 200

Judging from the readings and taking wear into account, I'm guessing that 240-220 is the normal measurement for a fresh from the factory engine. Judging from what I've read so far about valve leaks and doing the compression check, the VCG should have been replaced a long time ago (prior to me owning it), and possible valve problems on the upper left and bottom middle cylinder.

Those are really high compression numbers for an S. Iirc, they should be between 150-160psi. And the variance in the numbers isn't too encouraging either, the max variance among the cylinders should only be 15psi, you're pushing nearly double that.

Only variables i can figure are...

Engine wasn't warm (damn near impossible to disassemble the car in time to run a compression check under warm conditions)

Intercoolers weren't connected (not possible to get access to sparkplug wells otherwise)

Oil from the leakage got into the combustion chambers overnight and pooled causing a false reading on each cylinder

I dunno guys, need some ideas, i don't have the $$ to make this a project car.

Oil from the leakage got into the combustion chambers overnight and pooled causing a false reading on each cylinder

This is most likely the source of the problem. Oil is put into cylinders to find out if it's the valves or rings that are leaking. Here, it's just screwing with your results.

I put the engine back together, massive blue smoke for about 2 minutes. No cel, no rough idle. Took it for a 3 mile run with no issues except the loping at high rpm that it had before. I'm gonna let it sit for a few hours and start it up again.

I had intended to put it back together and drive it up to autozone to pull a code. I'm guessing enough oil had filled up the wells that one or two plugs weren't able to maintain good connection with the coils, or enough oil had coked on the plugs themselves to maintain a spark.