Ball Joints

How do you know which one is worn, or what components should be replaced at 120k?

My front suspension makes a clunking when going over speed bumps, things like that. The guy who did the alignment said there wasn't anything wrong with it, but I think otherwise.

When it's really hot, and you do a hard stop (enough to engage ABS), a terrible creaking/rubbing comes from the right side (sounds like stepping on a creaky wooden floor but very loud).

No. It doesn't clunk when put into gear. It does it over bumps. It's especially noticeable if you go over a big bump like a speed bump very slowly, on the approach when the wheel gets pushed "up" you hear it, and only when it's been driven awhile and it's really hot that it will start making other horrible noises (LH leading link may need to be replaced)

Life up the front, grab onto the wheel with your girly hands at 12 and 6 and try and shake the wheel by alternating pulling with hands. if you can pivot the wheel and replicate the clunk... ball joint is on the way out or gone. At 3 and 9 you can check the steering knuckle.... but this is a Millenia, it will resist you... LOL or fall on your foot... use a jackstand.

Life up the front, grab onto the wheel with your girly hands at 12 and 6 and try and shake the wheel by alternating pulling with hands. if you can pivot the wheel and replicate the clunk... ball joint is on the way out or gone. At 3 and 9 you can check the steering knuckle.... but this is a Millenia, it will resist you... LOL or fall on your foot... use a jackstand.

:lol:

I would hope s/he's smart enough to use a jackstand...

quiet you.

after a thorough testing by a trusted mechanic, the ball joints have been pronounced in good condition.

the thing causing the horrible knocking is the $70 strut tower caps/mounts, and the wigglywoggly feeling on very slow turns (eg coming into the driveway) is a whored out $52 bushing for the middle lateral link. all together it will cost me about $400 to have it restored to good condition.

quiet you.

after a thorough testing by a trusted mechanic, the ball joints have been pronounced in good condition.

the thing causing the horrible knocking is the $70 strut tower caps/mounts, and the wigglywoggly feeling on very slow turns (eg coming into the driveway) is a whored out $52 bushing for the middle lateral link. all together it will cost me about $400 to have it restored to good condition.

Oh man after x's post whatever you write i will read the other way. "Trusted" mechanic testing the balls :D

Check the online dealers, i dont remember them so expensive..