Automotive Led Bulb Types

mts

The 6-LEDs are widely available including Warden last time I checked - I used to have them for the parkers of my Ford Laser. Brilliant output for what they are, but personally I consider them too directional for 99% of applications. The stock Millenia housing is big so you do want sideways illumination. The 5-LED is the value king, or for more pricey tastes, Autolumination does what looks like a killer 194:

IPB Image

http://autolumination.com/194.htm

Remember, Trout, MTS has the Reality corners. They appear to have a much smaller housing than stock, so it may work well for him. As for the 1W H3's, they arrived today, as well as the above pictured 194's. :shifty: Will take pics as soon as I can ;)

Yes I do have different lights, the corners are actually projector lenses, so I may get a much different look. With the current bulbs you can actually see the bulb magnified in there... so the brighter ones should be more noticeable

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

True about the heat problems, I am looking forward to trialling high power 1157s for brake lights when Warden has the new design in stock, though I am not expecting much life.

In other news, I tested the new H3s today and the results are not as terrible as they could be. They are of course invisible except during pitch darkness, but they give a nice cool glow to the fog light housing. Whether or not they actually last is yet another question mark, but it's only a toy anyway.

Indeed, Trout. The 1W H3 for the fogs gives off a mere pinpoint of light during the day. They do, however, give off a light near identical to the hid's color temp. It looks nice as far as matching the color temp of the headlights without having to buy another hid kit, but it is definetly for show only. With hid's, the fogs are pretty much unnecessary, anyway.

The autolumination high power 194's are by far the best I have ever seen yet. My corner lights are not only as bright as they have ever been, but they are filled as much as an incandesent bulb. :thumbup1:

I'm assuming that the h3 LED's provide zero ground light, even when its pitch black

Almost none, and you can see the pinpoint of light in the fog (the light doesn't fill the projector evenly). It does give a very nice hid color glow, though, and is very visible when looking at the front of the Millenia.

Although I'm very satisfied with the look, It may be better to wait until they come out with a 3W H3 led.

Indeed, Trout. The 1W H3 for the fogs gives off a mere pinpoint of light during the day. They do, however, give off a light near identical to the hid's color temp. It looks nice as far as matching the color temp of the headlights without having to buy another hid kit, but it is definetly for show only. With hid's, the fogs are pretty much unnecessary, anyway.

The autolumination high power 194's are by far the best I have ever seen yet. My corner lights are not only as bright as they have ever been, but they are filled as much as an incandesent bulb. :thumbup1:

which 194's are u referring to

Looks brilliant, my only concern would be longevity in a non-flashing application - for side indicators they might be a bit too big though. Keep us posted!

Trout, you might be surprised to hear they are identical to a 194 in width, and a mere 3mm longer than a stock 194 incandesent. They may fit the side markers fine. I bought 4 of them, and right now I'm doing a longevity test on one of them. I have it hooked up on a 12V power supply in my house, and have had it on for 48 hours so far, non-stop. I regularly check the heat from the bulb and it barely warms above room temperature. Infra-red thermometer shows 79 degrees F. So far so good.

As for the red V-led flank bulbs, they are nice in the third brake housing, but you need to face them towards the reflector and put chrome tape in the reflector to get maximum results. With that setup, they have very good output. Near the stock 921, but not quite.

I have calculated (actually more speculated) that the autolumination high power 194 has .5 watt per led, for a total of 2.5 Watts (1W led's have 6 per array, these have 3)