Seafoam

1. What is it for?

Originally answered by: J-allan, Jan 21 2006, 09:07 PM

Cleaning out the carbon deposits and whatnot in the top half, as well as possibly quieting lifter noise or valve tap. (if you use it through the pcv hose or brake booster line)

If used in the crankcase right before an oil change (100-150 miles before, per engine guru Renboy), it will help remove sludge and varnish in the lower half of the engine.

Users report a smoother, quieter engine, with possible increases in fuel economy.

2. How do I use it?

Originally answered by: J-allan, Jan 21 2006, 09:21 PM

Well, if you want to do it through your pcv hose or brake booster line, use about three ounces in a cup, and make sure you only 'sip' the seafoam from the cup with the hose, do not immerse the hose end completely into it. When you disconnect the pcv line, the engine might want to die out. You may have to keep the rpms at about 2000 when you do this. In the crankcase, just pour the contents in and drive the car for about 100-150 miles, then change the oil.

Seafoam is the brand name, I don't know if they make a generic substitute.

• 10 months later...

Can anyone tell me where this pcv hose is? I dont wanna suck it into say oil:) Picture would be great actually. I ll post one when sure..

1. What is it for?

Originally answered by: J-allan, Jan 21 2006, 09:07 PM

Cleaning out the carbon deposits and whatnot in the top half, as well as possibly quieting lifter noise or valve tap. (if you use it through the pcv hose or brake booster line)

If used in the crankcase right before an oil change (100-150 miles before, per engine guru Renboy), it will help remove sludge and varnish in the lower half of the engine.

Users report a smoother, quieter engine, with possible increases in fuel economy.

2. How do I use it?

Originally answered by: J-allan, Jan 21 2006, 09:21 PM

Well, if you want to do it through your pcv hose or brake booster line, use about three ounces in a cup, and make sure you only 'sip' the seafoam from the cup with the hose, do not immerse the hose end completely into it. When you disconnect the pcv line, the engine might want to die out. You may have to keep the rpms at about 2000 when you do this. In the crankcase, just pour the contents in and drive the car for about 100-150 miles, then change the oil.

Seafoam is the brand name, I don't know if they make a generic substitute.

To add to lat's post, the pcv hose comming off the front valve cover is short, so you'll have to do some maneuvering to get it properly. Or extend the hose with a brass barbed connector. And warm up the engine before you do this, don't do it on a cold engine.

u shouldnt be able to do ANYTHING on a cold engine. nonetheless, thanks for the thread...im not sure if i wanna do seafoam as my car has alot of miles on it. but then again, it has proved itself to be a great motor with minimal problems. maybe seafoam will further extend its lifetime? (i have to beat this 530,000 mile millenia!)

At what intervals do you recommend this? And at how many miles would you start?

Also "3 ounces per cup"? Do you mean 3oz per cup of oil? The hose on the PCV valve will suck it into the engine? This is better than just adding it to the oil? What about the other side?

Just questions.....

The reason you feed it through the pcv is so that it cleans the intake manifold and combustion chamber. Though this process can damage your engine (small chance, but still a chance), and with the pcv and egr venting into the intake manifold it gets pretty dirty, fairly quickly, so this won't help much. The consequence outweighs the benefit IMO. You'd be better off putting more in your gas which will safely have the same effect on the combustion chamber, and every once in a while remove the intake manifold, toss it in degreaser for the night and put back shiney and new.

I thought it cleans the valves and lifters when applied from pcv? How hard it is to remove intake manifold? I even dont know where it is :)

The reason you feed it through the pcv is so that it cleans the intake manifold and combustion chamber. Though this process can damage your engine (small chance, but still a chance), and with the pcv and egr venting into the intake manifold it gets pretty dirty, fairly quickly, so this won't help much. The consequence outweighs the benefit IMO. You'd be better off putting more in your gas which will safely have the same effect on the combustion chamber, and every once in a while remove the intake manifold, toss it in degreaser for the night and put back shiney and new.

the intake manifold is that reallllly silvery thing right above the front intercooler. thats the front anyway. the rear one is that same shiny silvery thing in the back. looks like a fat log of silver.

ren...can i use this seafoam? i was advisd not to cuz of my mileage but i mean..everyone keeps saying that and my car runs better than most millenias

It seems to me impossible to take out :)

Ren did you mean we can hydrolock with seafoam? Or something else? I plan to put 2-3 hoses to PCV and use one to sip seafoam others to take in air.

the intake manifold is that reallllly silvery thing right above the front intercooler. thats the front anyway. the rear one is that same shiny silvery thing in the back. looks like a fat log of silver.

ren...can i use this seafoam? i was advisd not to cuz of my mileage but i mean..everyone keeps saying that and my car runs better than most millenias

I did indeed mean you can hydrolock.

Camel, if it's broke, don't fix it. Given the mileage the seals are probably old oil, rather than oil seals in your car. I would say use at your own risk. Lift the oil cap and look inside, is it all black and shitty, or nice and clean? If it's black and shitty, then I wouldn't risk it.

Oh, and you'll clean the lifters with it in the oil, not intake/pcv. The seats you'll clean with it in the gas, so putting it through the pcv is just to clean the manifold(s). And even at that, it still won't clean them well. The shit inside the manifolds is basically baked on. But if you toss in degreaser, they sparkle how clean they come out. When I had my manifold powdercoated the inside looked like the manifold had just been cast because the pc place let it soak overnight in degreaser.

Why to clean the manifold then. It looks pretty big, it will just make a path to air. So even if there are some crap it wont affect that much right? I thought PCV stuff would clean the lifters, valves (noise)..

How hard it is to remove?

Oh, and you'll clean the lifters with it in the oil, not intake/pcv. The seats you'll clean with it in the gas, so putting it through the pcv is just to clean the manifold(s). And even at that, it still won't clean them well. The shit inside the manifolds is basically baked on. But if you toss in degreaser, they sparkle how clean they come out. When I had my manifold powdercoated the inside looked like the manifold had just been cast because the pc place let it soak overnight in degreaser.

Any degreaser should work, it's about $20/gallon and can be thinned.

Removal depends on engine. The 2.3 is quite laboursome to remove, in all respects, it's a pita the first time. The 2.5 is easy to remove. You clean the manifold for the same reason people port/polish heads, to increase airflow, and for smoother airflow. Not only do the ports in the intake get smaller as shit builds up, that shit causes disturbances in airflow. Cleaning that crap out minimizes the disturbances and gives you the opportunity to port match the intake manifold to the head, to further minimize disturbance. Don't expect much, but anything is better than nothing.

I put 3/8 pint to half tank. Kind of smoother or nothing happened. I aimed to clean the injectors and the vapour inside the tank. No problem at least. And since Ren told it will clean the chamber as well, I will add it to couple more fillups. How many would do the job?

i think it depends on the severity of the engine. if its too gunked up and gaskets have been replaced by shit...then yaa itll create problems. im still thinking about mine.